Solved! Asus Eee PC memory extension?

l_r_c_t

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Hello Everybody:

I'm writing this lines from my Dad's new Asus Eee PC (1001px, Atom N450, 160GB).

It's built in RAM is 1024MB. While trying to have a video chat, Skype mentions that the "Computer speed is low" and offers to shut down the video feature.

In general the system itself (By the way, it came with XP) goes slowly, and feels pretty sluggish, Especially when I usually use a 4GB RAM computer. For my dad, this computer is super-fast, since the last one that he had, had 395MB (Sounds wierd, I know).

My question is, if a memory extension is possible?, and how complicated is to add/replace a memory module? (Since it's a laptop)

Thank you.

Solution
You don't have a laptop, you have a 'Netbook.
From the Skype FAQ: What do I need to make and receive High Quality Video calls?
https://support.skype.com/faq/FA3721/What-do-I-need-to-make-and-receive-High-Quality-Video-calls?
Note that it doesn't mention RAM at all.

As for your Atom CPU, when compared to the Skype recommended CPU for High Quality Video calls it doesnt compare too well.
Passmark CPU scores:
Intel Atom N450 @ 1.66GHz = 319 (single core netbook CPU)
Intel Core2 Duo T6400 @ 2.00GHz = 1337 (dual core laptop CPU)

I can't say that adding an extra 1GB won't help out a bit, but I think the CPU is more of a limiting factor than the 1GB of RAM.

As for 'ruin...
Have you run Skype with just audio and not the webcam?
Increasing the RAM to 2GB may not improve the speed of the CPU and would probably still not make Skype happy.

As for how hard it is to upgrade RAM in a Netbook it's usually quite easy if you can reach the RAM slot from the bottom of the Netbook.
Video on upgrading the RAM on a HP Mini 110 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bwb_zT-_7g

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
I have the exact same machine except mine came with Windows 7. I was able to successfully use all the video features of skype by simply lowering the resolution for the skype video. I haven't upgraded the RAM yet but then again I only bought it a week ago

The max resolution was already a low 640x480 or 0.3 megapixel. I'm guessing you lowered it to 320x240?
Also try reducing the frame rate from the default 30fps to 15fps (or even lower).
Doing both of those has a good chance of getting you a reasonable Skype experiance.

l_r_c_t

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
After posting the question, I surfed the net a little bit more, and found a video that shows how to replace the memory module and also how to change the HDD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiKWDVTYFXs

Another question which came up following this video, is, what speeds (of the module) does the laptop's motherboard support?

overclockingrocks, My dad's computer is 3 days old, and apparently you have the better version of this laptop.
Isn't The quality of the video going to be too bad, by lowering the video resolution? (which by default is pretty low for my taste)

WR2, Yes, I did try the only-audio conversation, and it was pretty good.
Are you sure that by upgrading the memory to 2GB, there will be no change? The processor itself is pretty good (Atom N450), or am I wrong?
As I asked about the resolution lowering, Isn't The quality of the video going to be too bad, by lowering also the frame rate?

I do understand that it's a simple laptop, with basic hardware, but still, I think that lowering all this parameters, will ruin the video experience.

You don't have a laptop, you have a 'Netbook.
From the Skype FAQ: What do I need to make and receive High Quality Video calls?
https://support.skype.com/faq/FA3721/What-do-I-need-to-make-and-receive-High-Quality-Video-calls?
Note that it doesn't mention RAM at all.

As for your Atom CPU, when compared to the Skype recommended CPU for High Quality Video calls it doesnt compare too well.
Passmark CPU scores:
Intel Atom N450 @ 1.66GHz = 319 (single core netbook CPU)
Intel Core2 Duo T6400 @ 2.00GHz = 1337 (dual core laptop CPU)

I can't say that adding an extra 1GB won't help out a bit, but I think the CPU is more of a limiting factor than the 1GB of RAM.

As for 'ruin the video experience'? Only you can decide if that's the case.
Why not try the different settings and see what works best for you.

Solution

l_r_c_t

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I think I'll upgrade the RAM anyway, even for the overall "feeling" of the system.

According to the data that you brought, I will have no choice than reduce the video settings. A shame...
Hopefully it won't be much of an influence on the overall experience.

If you can, gather all the relative information from all the replies, into one post so I can choose it as the best answer, and hopefully helping others.

Thank you for your input, and thank you in advanced for the answers' summary.

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006

That's exactly what I did though with that said on the netbook I mostly just voice chat when I do video 320x240 @ 15fps works fine actually for what I do since I'm usually just showing somebody something static and non moving so it's ok in that regard

Let us know how things work out for you.

Like overclockingrocks comments show 1 person's actual experience is is really useful when the next 'Netbook owner shows up with the same question.
(will probably see quite a few in the next few weeks naturally). So let us know how well the 2GB RAM upgrade goes, how much it improves Skype (if any)
and what you end up using on Skype settings that give you the best 'all 'round' experience.

Looks like the 1001PD netbooks come with either DDR2 200pin SoDimm or DDR3 204pin SoDimm RAM, depending on model.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007609%2050001459%20600000406&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=381|20-145-228^20-145-228-S01%2C20-145-172^20-145-172-TS

If you're not certain what is actually in your Netbook run the CPU-Z utility program.
The Memory Tab will let you know everything you need to get the right 2GB RAM stick.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

overclocked_cpuz.jpg

l_r_c_t

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
After seeing the prices, and calculating the shipping prices, it's not far from the price in here. So I don't think I'll order it from NewEgg. (If there wasn't a need in international shipping the price would be excellent!)

About the program, Thanks for the reminder, for some reason I forgot of her existence. I will use it to be sure about the module type that I should buy.

Thank you again for all of the input, and attention you paid for my question.
I'll keep you posted about the improvement that (Hopefully) the extension will bring.