Asus Flip vs MacBook Pro

klh03

Estimable
Jul 23, 2015
I need to buy a new laptop. I use my laptop a lot. I'm going back to school and will primarily be using it for streaming video, word, excel, internet. I also really like to multi task. I've gone thru 3 laptops in 8 years (most of them were cheaper $300-500) I know you get what you pay for and would like a computer that will last at least 3-4 years. I've been looking at an Asus Flip 2-in-1 but someone told me to go with MacBook Pro which would last me longer. However there is a $600 difference between the two computers and I can't understand why the prices are so different. Would a MacBook really be better or would the Asus be just as good?

(Asus) http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-flip-2-in-1-13-3-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-black/2995105.p?id=1219567193570&skuId=2995105

(Mac) http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-latest-model-13-3-display-8gb-memory-128gb-flash-storage-silver/8532557.p?id=1219343246941&skuId=8532557

Solution
There are many reasons why the Macbook Pro is more expensive.

1. It is exclusive. No one makes laptops running Mac OS other than Apple. You want to use Mac OS? Then buy a MacBook Pro from Apple since there is no competition.

2. The Macbook Pro has a better CPU than the Asus. The Macbook uses the more powerful i5-5257U CPU which is 400MHz faster. Additionally, it has the more powerful Intel HD 6100 graphics core. There aren't many other laptops that use this CPU model.

3. The Macbook Pro has a much higher resolution screen which adds to the cost of the laptop; 2560x1600 vs 1366x768. That is almost 4x higher resolution.

4. While the Asus has a 500 GB hard drive, the Macbook has a 128GB SSD. SSD provides better read / write speeds...
There are many reasons why the Macbook Pro is more expensive.

1. It is exclusive. No one makes laptops running Mac OS other than Apple. You want to use Mac OS? Then buy a MacBook Pro from Apple since there is no competition.

2. The Macbook Pro has a better CPU than the Asus. The Macbook uses the more powerful i5-5257U CPU which is 400MHz faster. Additionally, it has the more powerful Intel HD 6100 graphics core. There aren't many other laptops that use this CPU model.

3. The Macbook Pro has a much higher resolution screen which adds to the cost of the laptop; 2560x1600 vs 1366x768. That is almost 4x higher resolution.

4. While the Asus has a 500 GB hard drive, the Macbook has a 128GB SSD. SSD provides better read / write speeds compared to hard drives and it carries a premium because of that.

5. Apple generally has very good quality control on their products and I would say it is better than Asus'.

6. Apple generally has better customer service than Asus. I have read many complaint about people having problems contacting Asus customer support.

Is the Macbook overall a better laptop than the Asus? Yes, but is it better for your needs? Not necessarily.

If I wanted a durable laptop that is built to be semi-rugged, then I would not hesitate to buy a ThinkPad T series laptop like the 14" ThinkPad T450 / T450s. It's more expensive than the Asus, but less expensive than the Macbook, unless you really pimp them out with a lot of upgrades.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/

The one thing I absolutely do not like about the Asus laptop is it's low resolution screen. I like to see a lot information on the screen at once which means I would only consider laptops with a 1080p screen.

Solution