ASUS G551JW - mSata SSD is no longer recognized.

twotecs

Estimable
Jul 3, 2015
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-15-6-Inch-Notebook-i7-4720HQ-Windows/dp/B00UAT7H7U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1435940070&sr=8-2&keywords=g551jw

I was installing virtual machines on the SSD when I filled the memory, cancelled the operation, cleared a few things and went on my merry way. Later that day while the laptop was idle I look down to see it on the BIOS screen. I reboot and it's back in the BIOS. The SSD containing the OS is no longer recognized.

I enabled CSM so that I could use a boot disc and it boot into ubuntu fine, no sign of the SSD but both HDDs were visible.

I've read some threads/ articles regarding disappearing SSDs but nothing was specific to my scenario of filling the memory which I think may have aggravated it.

Any suggestion? Taking out the mSata SSD would require removing the entire bottom which is a pain in the ass and voids my warranty.

Thanks!

twotecs

Estimable
Jul 3, 2015
the SSD is recognized in the manual boot menu, but not in the BIOS as far as I can tell. I have an ubuntu live disc that doesn't see the ssd and therefore I cannot mount/ format.

twotecs

Estimable
Jul 3, 2015
Zzz I can't provide adequate proof of purchase so ASUS won't repair it. I am still struggling with this but now I guess it's a free for all and I can pop the hood since warranty is no longer a concern. Anyone got any suggestions?

Zealottas

Estimable
Nov 5, 2015

Hello Twotecs,
I have exactly same problem.
How did you manage to get msata out? I can't seem to be able to open the lid near the connection with screen. Should I just put some more force into it or is there another way to open it? A reply would be very helpful.