Solved! Asus GL503VM Not booting up sometimes

depakjan

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2007
Hi,

My laptop does not boot sometimes, it gets stuck in ROG logo and the processing light does not light up or blink, it can be stuck up in this state for 20 mins also and could go on, during this time I wont be able to boot to BIOS as well, but if keep pressing the power button to hard shutdown and start it again, it will boot properly, sometimes I may have to try 3 or 4 times before it boots up, one time I was even stuck for 20 mins it did not boot up.

I am unable to debug this issue, why does it not boot sometimes, what are the steps I can take to debug and resolve this issue

I am on the latest bios that is available for this laptop 306, its approximately 1.5 yr old and I have latest 1909 installed. this issue was happening even before this version, I have already tried clean installing windows and I have upgraded to a different SSD as well. issue is still there

Solution
With you already having tried checking the drive and the OS then I would start to wonder if it is not a motherboard problem.

That said, the BIOS you updated, did the system itself tell you to update to that version or did you choose to do so? I ask because sometimes, even though they may be available for update (and even saying it would work on your device) doesn't mean it can't cause problems. That is if you recently did the BIOS updating.

You may also want to try the following...

Note: If this problem started after an update (or system reinstall), please make sure the laptop is not connected to the internet in any way before you use the following instructions.

Try this...
  1. Power off the laptop.
  2. Power on the laptop.
  3. As...
With you already having tried checking the drive and the OS then I would start to wonder if it is not a motherboard problem.

That said, the BIOS you updated, did the system itself tell you to update to that version or did you choose to do so? I ask because sometimes, even though they may be available for update (and even saying it would work on your device) doesn't mean it can't cause problems. That is if you recently did the BIOS updating.

You may also want to try the following...

Note: If this problem started after an update (or system reinstall), please make sure the laptop is not connected to the internet in any way before you use the following instructions.

Try this...
  1. Power off the laptop.
  2. Power on the laptop.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process a few times until you see the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen.
  5. Now you want to let the laptop boot to the "Automatic Repair" screen.
  6. Click "Advanced Options" and then select "Troubleshoot".
  7. Here you want to select "Refresh your PC", if you do not wish to erase data, or "Reset your PC" to erase all data and restore your system.
  8. From here just follow the screen instructions until the recovery is completed.

NOTE: You will need to get into the "Advanced Options" in order to get the "Refresh Option". This choice will keep your data, but any programs installed will be lost.

Do not do a "Reset" as that will wipe all data you have on the laptop.

Solution

depakjan

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2007
Thanks for the reply, BIOS I updated long back, I also thought of reverting to a older BIOS but it wont let me , if I select old BIOS, it keeps says you already have the latest version.

Also this issue did not start after the windows update

depakjan

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2007
Thanks its not due to overheat because I am switching ON the laptop after almost 20 hours, even then this issue happens. Too cold, I am not sure, average room temp is around 28C , if its hardware issue , shouldn't be happening all the time. also once its ON, it never shutdown itself or anything like that