Asus: It Was Pure Torture to Build Google's Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
As a successful company, I doubt Asus would have taken on the project if they did not believe it would serve their best interests. Hopefully it has, and they have produced a good product. The price looks appropriate for a content-consumption device.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I'm confused. I went to the Play store on my Android phone and could not find this for sale. I saw no hardware, but just digital content (apps, games, movies, books, music and such). I even did a search on Nexus. Is there another Play store for this?

punahou1

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
I find it hard to believe that they were not planning for this many many months before the deal was signed. It makes a good story but I dare say there is little truth behind it actually being "four months".

G

Asus is not selling them Google is, by that I mean any profit margin for Asus has already been worked out at least on the first run. Google its selling them at Google's cost the profit for them is in content sales and market share.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Google Play is going to fail as long as they refuse to compete with Apple's offerings at a similar price. Why rent an SD video on google when you can get the HD version for the same price in iTunes?

I don't like Apple as a company, but I'm getting really irritated that other companies aren't doing enough to stay competitive.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
I bet Microsoft is now looking at its Tablets it has lined up for Xmas and is thinking of having a fire sale.

If we have such a tablet as the Nexus 7 for that price in July, god knows what else we'll have by December.

gumbedamit

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
@punahou1: ummm, so how is Asus gonna make any money if they sell it at cost? Did I miss something?

Google is selling it at cost...Not Asus

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]Why rent an SD video on google when you can get the HD version for the same price in iTunes?[/citation]

At a 7" screen size, it is physically impossible for the human eye to see the difference between these two resolutions when video is playing (still frames are another matter). Why would you want the HD version? Bragging rights?

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
They should've ditched the front-facing camera (seriously? on a tablet?) and the 3 buttons and add an olephobic coating, to get rid of fingerprints.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
seriously, how hard is it to go "lets make this a bit thicker, and slighly heavier, and we can put cheaper, more powerful parts inside"

i will never understand what people want everything so thin for. i like the weighty feel, i also like the feel that it wont break in my hands.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
But it lacked magazines, TV shows and movies you can actually purchase.

Good, I don't want this crap. This tablet gives me HARDWARE. For a great price, I might add. Perfect.

Google, despite its demanding nature, was highly impressed at how Asus pulled off a top-quality project so quickly.

Hire the best and you get the best. Asus is known to be one of the best hardware manufacturers in the world. Why a surprise?

Anyway, this tablet rocks. Hats off to Asus and Google!

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Anandtech did a short review of the Nexus 7.

It looks very tempting, and at $200 it's absolutely unbeatable. Solid construction, good high PPI IPS display, and great performance. One of the only down sides I can see is the low internal storage capacity, but it's a $200 tablet! I basically I have no complaints, it looks like an excellent tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.