jakarate11

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013
I finally got around to putting a new screen on my ASUS K60IJ laptop after it had been in storage for two years. I had since pulled the hdd and reformatted it for external use. I have now put the HDD back in reformatted the drive. I am trying to use the recovery discs I made to restore the Windows 7 image since the product key is faded and not legible, but after it completes and reboots, I get a large, red "ERROR" message. I was able to clean install Windows 7 w/o the product key thinking it might need an installation of windows for it to work, but I still got the same result. What can I do to recover the original Windows 7 factory image?

Solution
Hey there, @jakarate11!

I'd advise you to use another computer to recreate the bootable USB flash drive/DVD of the Windows 7 version you had previously installed on the laptop. If the OS came pre-installed with the laptop, I'd strongly recommend you get in touch with the manufacturer's customer support for assistance. They should be able to provide you with an OEM recovery disk for your laptop.

Either way, I'm afraid you won't be able to recover any personal data from the drive if it was already formatted, as @webworkings mentioned.

Hope this helps you. Keep us posted if you have more questions. :)
SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Hey there, @jakarate11!

I'd advise you to use another computer to recreate the bootable USB flash drive/DVD of the Windows 7 version you had previously installed on the laptop. If the OS came pre-installed with the laptop, I'd strongly recommend you get in touch with the manufacturer's customer support for assistance. They should be able to provide you with an OEM recovery disk for your laptop.

Either way, I'm afraid you won't be able to recover any personal data from the drive if it was already formatted, as @webworkings mentioned.

Hope this helps you. Keep us posted if you have more questions. :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution