Mar 31, 2014
Hello,

I've just bought ASUS K750LN, here are it's specs:

i3-4010U - 1,7GHz
17,3'' - FHD 1920x1080
4GB 1600MHz
SATA 1TB
Nvidia GeForce GT840 2GB DDR3

And I've installed Win 8.1 64bit on them, where the installation went OK.

I've put 2 partitions, C: with 200 GB and D: with 800 GB.

The problem is with it's HDD. For some reason, it keeps goind to 100% usage.
For example, this is the picture that I took on windows start-up. NO application were open, I was just on the desktop.

first.png

Here is when I open Chrome with 2 tabs open:

second.png

Is this normal or is something wrong with the HDD?

Thanks

Solution
Run Seatools for windows or you can also look on the manufacturers page for your drive and run their testing utility. Run the short DST and the long generic.

adelivuk

Estimable
Mar 31, 2014

Sorry for a such late reply,

I've replaced the img links, now it has to work.

I'd see what processes are running during those peaks. Open task manager and check out the resources and services that are running and being used. Maybe post screenshots of the processes screen in task manager. You'll probably need to take a couple of screenshots and scroll down to get them all. I'd also run full virus and malware scans to eliminate an infection as the cause. Some infections are known to write junk to the disk simply to bog down the system.

Run full scan with windows defender or other antivirus. Run full scan with malwarebytes. Run malwarebytes rootkit detection.

The problem could be with a windows service running tasks but I'd check for infections first.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/downloads/

I'd also check to see that my motherboard BIOS is up to date. It could possibly be related to firmware for the storage controllers. Also, make sure all core hardware drivers for your motherboard are up to date from the OEMs webpage.

adelivuk

Estimable
Mar 31, 2014

In the task manager(in the process tab) there were no resources and services that used that many HD. The sum of resources and services usages were about 5%, which is good, but the complety amount of HD usage was up to 100%.

So I had run a full scan with windows defender and it showed no warnings. And then I decided to full format the HD (for the fourth time) and now it seems to be working OK.

Maybe the HD has some errors, or it wasn't formatted the first three times?

Also, I've noticed that when watching 1080p videos, the HD usage keeps going to 100% and the laptop keeps freezing...