Asus laptop cannot boot from USB

JHR42

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017
Hi Guys.

I have an out of action ASUS X205T which I would like to put a linux OS onto. I'm using a bootable USB (Transcend 8GB) with an ISO of ElementaryOS properly burned (I've tried successfully on another machine).

I just can't seem to get it to boot from a USB. I've googled it a million times and many of the instructions (things like changing the CSM settings etc.) simply don't show up on my BIOS. It seems to be much more simplistic than those shown in lots of youtube tutorials.

It recognises the USB, but setting it as the sole boot option results in it going straight back to BIOS.

Could anyone give me any hints? Anyone had any similar problems?

Cheers

Solution
Uefi boot are not just settings in rufus, most of time os that you want to boot needs to have efi folder and boot files in it. If it does not have efi folder it probably isn't compatible with uefi boot.

JHR42

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017

I've disabled secure boot, and tried to run it with all 3 types of UEFI boot settings on the Rufus ISO burning software. The BIOS doesn't seem to recognise any of them. Could it be possible that this MOBO simply does not support boot from flash of any sort? I've also tried with a Win10 ISO, to the same results :/

Thank's for your advice.

Mister_MO

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
Uefi boot are not just settings in rufus, most of time os that you want to boot needs to have efi folder and boot files in it. If it does not have efi folder it probably isn't compatible with uefi boot.

Solution

Scottylyp

Prominent
May 7, 2017
I have this exact same problem, booting elementary OS from 8gb usb onto Asus X205TA. Ive selected usb as the only boot option, but on boot it goes immediately back to bios