Asus Laptop, Screen Flashes, crashes most programs.

aoeaoe123

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2015
I was wondering if anyone knows the cause of this issue.

When on battery power (it never happens while plugged into the charger), the screen flashes white, the sound lags for a second, then most programs crash: games, youtube videos crashes sometimes.

Weird things happen such as steam (https://imgur.com/a/AHVh8) it resizes, then thinks the new size is the maximum size (in that picture steam thinks that that is full screen).

I suspect it has something to do with firefox and youtube/flash player, but I can't consistently reproduce it (it happens randomly an hour or so after I pull out the charger).

Solution
If you remove the charger but this time do nothing strenuous, I noticed you mentioned games and video playback ......seems like graphics card is not receiving adequate power. Could power profile conflict in windows, battery driver corruption for battery in device manager or battery itself is faulty.

zer0c007

Notable
Jun 10, 2017
If you remove the charger but this time do nothing strenuous, I noticed you mentioned games and video playback ......seems like graphics card is not receiving adequate power. Could power profile conflict in windows, battery driver corruption for battery in device manager or battery itself is faulty.

Solution

aoeaoe123

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2015
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction (with the graphics comment), I think I found the problem.

I ran a bunch of videos (2 youtubes + 2 hard drive videos + a windowed game) on battery and that caused the screen to flash within a minute.

The problem appears to be caused by Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, there is a power setting called 'panel self-refresh' which I have now disabled.

Still running all the nonsense and I haven't had the flash/crash for half an hour.