Question ASUS Laptop (with new battery) shuts downs booting

Aug 21, 2021
I've replaced the battery of my old ASUS K53SV (with the old battery couldn't unplug the battery supplier).
Now, when I start the laptop the Win10 booting page (the one with the loading wheel) is working fine but when it seems to switch to the actual desktop in order to be ready to play, it suddenly shuts down.
Funny facts, on the BIOS page and if I start the laptop in SAFE MODE it works fine!
Another clue that might help: at some point during the booting process the battery light indicator starts licking (battery was about at 70% charge).

All these tests were processed only with the battery

Do you have any idea about it???

Thanks a lot!

BEAUFORD_SAVAGE

Respectable
Sep 6, 2020
"the battery light indicator starts licking "
Nothing on the computer should EVER lick you!
Kinda sounds like you got infected with ransomware.
Did you make a system back-up?
The one on the main drive doesn't count IF it is ransomware.

Aug 21, 2021

"the battery light indicator starts licking ".......I mean BLINKING! apologize.
Would you suggest to wiped out the PC???

mrmike16

Honorable
To me it doesn't sound like ransomware. Ransomware announces when it is on your computer so that you pay them for your files, that's what the ransom part means.

@marcop87 , is the battery from ASUS or from a 3rd party? The laptop does not do this with your old battery (Obviously while plugged in since it won't work otherwise)? Does it do this with no battery, just plugged in?

Aug 21, 2021
To me it doesn't sound like ransomware. Ransomware announces when it is on your computer so that you pay them for your files, that's what the ransom part means.

@marcop87, is the battery from ASUS or from a 3rd party? The laptop does not do this with your old battery (Obviously while plugged in since it won't work otherwise)? Does it do this with no battery, just plugged in?

Thanks for your message.
I've done a full reset yesterday, updated BIOS (laptop twice faster btw)

is the battery from ASUS or from a 3rd party?
the battery is from a 3rd party (bought on eBay) cos I think the original one is out of production.

The laptop does not do this with your old battery (Obviously while plugged in since it won't work otherwise)?
the original battery has gone years ago, but I remember when I've started using a "not original" battery the laptop was working fine. I cannot really picture in my mind the exact moment when the issue has started

Does it do this with no battery, just plugged in?
The laptop with no battery (and with battery but plugged to the charged) works fine. If I pull the plug with the battery on the laptop goes off. If I start the laptop on battery it goes off after the startup page. If I start the laptop with the charger (with and without the battery) all is fine. If I start the laptop on battery with the safe mode is working fine.
I'm monitoring the CPU temperatures for Safe and Regular Mode, and both seem OK.

mrmike16

Honorable
Thanks for your message.
I've done a full reset yesterday, updated BIOS (laptop twice faster btw)

is the battery from ASUS or from a 3rd party?
the battery is from a 3rd party (bought on eBay) cos I think the original one is out of production.

The laptop does not do this with your old battery (Obviously while plugged in since it won't work otherwise)?
the original battery has gone years ago, but I remember when I've started using a "not original" battery the laptop was working fine. I cannot really picture in my mind the exact moment when the issue has started

Does it do this with no battery, just plugged in?
The laptop with no battery (and with battery but plugged to the charged) works fine. If I pull the plug with the battery on the laptop goes off. If I start the laptop on battery it goes off after the startup page. If I start the laptop with the charger (with and without the battery) all is fine. If I start the laptop on battery with the safe mode is working fine.
I'm monitoring the CPU temperatures for Safe and Regular Mode, and both seem OK.

Based on your answers, sounds to me like it's a bad battery and the laptop is failing to recognize it as a usable power source. Somehow that seems to be confusing the computer while starting up Windows.

The explanation for it working in Safe Mode is because Windows in Safe Mode isn't using any drivers or special management software made for your specific PC. ASUS has built-in Power Management software, which can be accessed in the My ASUS program. The Power Management software probably isn't active in Safe Mode, and is unable to manage your battery when Windows starts up normally. You can check what the My ASUS program says about your battery, although it probably just doesn't see that it isn't the right one.

Aug 21, 2021
Based on your answers, sounds to me like it's a bad battery and the laptop is failing to recognize it as a usable power source. Somehow that seems to be confusing the computer while starting up Windows.

The explanation for it working in Safe Mode is because Windows in Safe Mode isn't using any drivers or special management software made for your specific PC. ASUS has built-in Power Management software, which can be accessed in the My ASUS program. The Power Management software probably isn't active in Safe Mode, and is unable to manage your battery when Windows starts up normally. You can check what the My ASUS program says about your battery, although it probably just doesn't see that it isn't the right one.

Unfortunately, the ASUS K53SV model doesn't support the MyASUS app nor ASUS System Control Interface v3 on Win10, and I really don't understand how to figure out whether or not the "unofficial" battery can fit the laptop.

I'm bloody curious now to make a test: I will do a full reset to..................WIN7 and see what happens

mrmike16

Honorable
Unfortunately, the ASUS K53SV model doesn't support the MyASUS app nor ASUS System Control Interface v3 on Win10, and I really don't understand how to figure out whether or not the "unofficial" battery can fit the laptop.

I'm bloody curious now to make a test: I will do a full reset to..................WIN7 and see what happens
Right. Didn't check that, I apologize. I don't think Windows 7 will make a difference on this matter, but you can give it a shot. If it is just a matter of incorrect drivers, it is very possible that it will be fixed on Windows 7, since that was this laptop's original OS. Might as well rule it out.

Aug 21, 2021
Right. Didn't check that, I apologize. I don't think Windows 7 will make a difference on this matter, but you can give it a shot. If it is just a matter of incorrect drivers, it is very possible that it will be fixed on Windows 7, since that was this laptop's original OS. Might as well rule it out.

OK problem not solved but a little update: I restored back the OS as it coming out from the first use after the full reset process.
At this point there are only 2 drivers are missing: VGA (Nvidia GT540M) and another one that I missed nut I think might be software devices or system devices (long list of elements within its subcategory). So, the battery mode is working fine using the laptop with the missing drivers related to the system or software devices, but as soon as you install these drivers the issue comes back again.

Really have no idea where is it coming from!

mrmike16

Honorable
OK problem not solved but a little update: I restored back the OS as it coming out from the first use after the full reset process.
At this point there are only 2 drivers are missing: VGA (Nvidia GT540M) and another one that I missed nut I think might be software devices or system devices (long list of elements within its subcategory). So, the battery mode is working fine using the laptop with the missing drivers related to the system or software devices, but as soon as you install these drivers the issue comes back again.

Really have no idea where is it coming from!
I still think the issue is the battery's lack of compatibility with your laptop. It is only working before the drivers are installed, just like in Safe Mode previously, because Windows will work with generic batteries, albeit without any optimization. But once software designed for improving battery life and battery health is installed, it doesn't know how to handle this battery and shuts down the computer.
In my opinion, the only real solution here is to replace the battery.

Aug 21, 2021
I still think the issue is the battery's lack of compatibility with your laptop. It is only working before the drivers are installed, just like in Safe Mode previously, because Windows will work with generic batteries, albeit without any optimization. But once software designed for improving battery life and battery health is installed, it doesn't know how to handle this battery and shuts down the computer.
In my opinion, the only real solution here is to replace the battery.

Thank you for the tip! could you please suggest where I can get a 100% genuine battery?
I'm using an ASUS K53SV bought in 2011............yes I'm still using 10 years old laptop!
The "not genuine battery" bought recently and used at the moment is 11.1V and 5200mAh/58Wh. I think the original battery specs were 10.8V and 5200mAh/56Wh. This kind of discrepancy might also be an issue?????

Please let me know in case you need more detailed specs

Thanks a lot again!

Last edited:

mrmike16

Honorable
I wouldn't know if that was the cause, to be honest. I think that your laptop components are designed for a specific voltage, and increasing or decreasing that voltage could damage your motherboard. But I don't know that for sure, that's just a guess. The computer could be shutting down to protect itself from frying.

As your laptop is 11 years old, ASUS no longer manufactures genuine battery replacements for it. What you should do is get a battery matching the specifications of your original one, and make sure it has a warranty on it. Here is one you can look at, although I have never used their products: https://greencell.global/en/asus/104-laptop-battery-a32-k53-for-asus-k53-k53e-k53s-k53sv-x53-x53s-x53u-x54-x54c-x54h.html#:~:text=Green Cell is a high-quality laptop battery dedicated,of real capacity, reliability and long working hours.

Aug 21, 2021
I wouldn't know if that was the cause, to be honest. I think that your laptop components are designed for a specific voltage, and increasing or decreasing that voltage could damage your motherboard. But I don't know that for sure, that's just a guess. The computer could be shutting down to protect itself from frying.

As your laptop is 11 years old, ASUS no longer manufactures genuine battery replacements for it. What you should do is get a battery matching the specifications of your original one, and make sure it has a warranty on it. Here is one you can look at, although I have never used their products: https://greencell.global/en/asus/104-laptop-battery-a32-k53-for-asus-k53-k53e-k53s-k53sv-x53-x53s-x53u-x54-x54c-x54h.html#:~:text=Green Cell is a high-quality laptop battery dedicated,of real capacity, reliability and long working hours.

Thanks a lot! I will have a look!

Reactions: mrmike16
Aug 21, 2021
I don't remember exactly when but Win10 processed a looooooong system update at some point and this happened:
  1. If I boot my laptop with the power supply connected and after reaching the desktop the laptop working fine on battery!
  2. If I try to boot the laptop on battery I have the usual problem (laptop goes off at the right moment it's reaching the desktop) :(

No idea what's going on! This is becoming a real mistery!

mrmike16

Honorable
I don't remember exactly when but Win10 processed a looooooong system update at some point and this happened:
  1. If I boot my laptop with the power supply connected and after reaching the desktop the laptop working fine on battery!
  2. If I try to boot the laptop on battery I have the usual problem (laptop goes off at the right moment it's reaching the desktop) :(
No idea what's going on! This is becoming a real mistery!
This only helps to confirm my previous assumption that the problem is the battery. The power supply seems fine.