Asus Nexus 7 (2013) - Extra Memory

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Started researching for a tablet... and although I like a bigger screen like the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8", looking at specs and reviews (and price) the smaller Asus Nexus 7" (2013) seems like a better tablet. Better quality screen especially since I plan to tether it to my dSLR.

Anyways... downside is, no SD card slot.

I was wondering though, with an adapter like THIS would a USB stick work? I already have 3 USB sticks.

Or would I have to buy something like THIS instead, in which case I also have to buy an SD card.

Solution
Yes it will work. I've got the little nexus right next to me. LoL
I'm not sure I like the screen format, Its very long and narrow (more so than I expected) compared to something like the kindle hd.

You should be aware, not that it makes a big deal, but it runs the phone os and not the table version. Theres a slight difference in where things are.

shortstuff_mt

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
I have used an OTG cable for access to a USB thumb drive, but my tablet is rooted and running a custom ROM. I believe the stock ROM is also capable of accessing a thumb drive over an OTG cable, but maybe somebody else who has done it can confirm.

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I remember my old MAC keyboard, USB1.2 I think, but, was 50/50 if worked with USB sticks because I guess some sticks require more power than others... probably a factor as well with tablets.

popatim

Splendid
Yes it will work. I've got the little nexus right next to me. LoL
I'm not sure I like the screen format, Its very long and narrow (more so than I expected) compared to something like the kindle hd.

You should be aware, not that it makes a big deal, but it runs the phone os and not the table version. Theres a slight difference in where things are.

Solution

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I think I'm buying a used Nexus 10... would rather new but out of my budget, but because the Nexus 7 is tall/narrow, I don't see my PDF's being that easily read. Mocked it up in Photoshop and printed off at 100% scale and Nexus 7 is too small for me.

I'd wait for the new Nexus 10 but... from what I'm reading, could be a week, a month, never.

Android wise, I'll just use whatever gets loaded... won't need anything fancy, or do any rooting etc. and having never used Android before I won't know one from another. :D