ASUS ROG black screen after signing into windows.

scerab

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015
Hello,

Here is the situation, I bought an ASUS ROG 752VW-DH71 17.3” gaming laptop from eBay and when it arrived by mail I noticed two things.

The first was when the laptop was starting, there was a fan noise coming from the vent. The noise started and then decelerates and stops rapidly. To me it sounded like a fan malfunction, maybe more. The fan noise lasts only for a few seconds.

The second issue is with the interface. The laptop loads quickly until you get to the sign in screen. But after I click on sign in, the screen turns pitch black. I see the mouse pointer moving and I was able to plug in a USB mouse, which worked fine. I was also able to bring up the windows task manager but the screen is still pitch black. The ROM drive has a drivers disk, which I tried to run the machine with and without.

The laptop was properly packaged, from what I saw when I unwrapped it. The battery was not detached however. All of my attempts where with the laptop plugged into the wall.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. What do you think the issue is here?
If you need any further information, please let me know.

Thank you very much in advance.

scerab

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015

Yes this is what is confusing me. I can see the task manager and the mouse pointer but I cannot see the windows interface.

Reset what? I tried to restart the laptop multiple times.
My other concern is this fan noise that starts and stop within seconds of turning on the laptop.

rgd1101

Don't

try to get into safe mode first, see if you get the desktop.
Or create a new user profile.(did you first create a new profile after you got it from ebay?)
reset windows.

scerab

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015
So I was able to access windows interface by just turning on the laptop randomly. I really did not do anything. But the fan is emitting a very loud noise that keeps on starting and stopping. Any idea what might be the issue with this noise and how to fix it?
Thanks