ASUS ROG GL552VW CPU Throttling even after repasting/cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2018
The PC has an i7 6700HQ, all drivers and also the bios are up to date. I was having heavy thermal throttling recently then I decided to repaste both the CPU and the GPU. I used a CoolerMaster brand thermal paste, done it nicely and closed the heatsink in place very firmly. Also dusted and cleaned the fan and all the exhaust holes. Yet it still overheats very quickly up to 99C. What could be causing this excessive heat? Thanks in advance guys.

Solution
This is likely caused by the CPU voltage being on auto, and being to high.

From what I've read you could try undervolting it with (minus)-150mv.

I suggest you use a calculator just to be sure you input the right numbers.
Again, the undervolting suggested is decimal.minus.150mv or (-.150mv).

Rdslw

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
Jul 30, 2018

That sounds like it might be the case. I didn't over tighten it but I let the pressure spread the paste evenly on cpu. What difference does cross pattern make I wonder? Also should I use something to spread the paste evenly on cpu before placing the heatsink?

Jul 30, 2018

I put a little paste in the middle then used the pressure of heatsink to spread it on the cpu.

Al_Biss

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017
This is likely caused by the CPU voltage being on auto, and being to high.

From what I've read you could try undervolting it with (minus)-150mv.

I suggest you use a calculator just to be sure you input the right numbers.
Again, the undervolting suggested is decimal.minus.150mv or (-.150mv).

Solution
Jul 30, 2018

I've sent the laptop to the technical service but I'll definitely try that if they can't fix it

Al_Biss

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017
Please let us know the outcome.

And sorry about the way I've written my post.
It was the morning, and my brain wasn't fully waken up.

The number I should have written is -0.150mv.
It is clearer this way! :)

Jul 30, 2018

I will inform you as soon as the PC returns from service. (Hope they won’t notice or care that I took the warranty seal off of the heatsink to repaste :D)

Al_Biss

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017
You're not supposed to have any problem concerning the removal of the 'Void if Removed' sticker.
It is against the law and Asus surely know about that.
In any event, you could sue them and the law would be on your side (from what I've read).
There were a few articles about that recently.

Jul 30, 2018

So the PC is back and still overheating but not as hard. it can reach 95-96C max, I undervolted -0.150mV and it won't go over 90C now, so thanks man.

Status
Not open for further replies.