Question Asus TUF A15 underperforming

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2022
Hello, I have some issues with my asus a15(4800h+1660ti), I'm getting unusually low fps on everything I try to play. Lowering graphics settings just lowers gpu usage with minimal change in fps. Just reinstalled win10, had win11 before. I get at most 90-95 cpu temp and 80-84 gpu temp. Bios is updated, so is chipset driver and gpu driver; dGPU is selected as main one, max performance is set in nvidia control panel. I get pretty avg results on stress tests. I've tried cleaning the fans and I'm currently waiting for a thermal paste. Also tried undervolting the gpu and downgrading the bios. I got no idea what to do at this point. Any help is appreciated.
View: https://imgur.com/a/wzWTQD0

This is from a 30 min Destiny 2 session.

Last edited:

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
max performance is set in nvidia control panel.

Change that to Adaptive. Max performance setting is misleading and just forces base clock at idle.

that's not unreasonable for a 1660 Ti. The GPU is bottlenecking the CPU by a fair margin.

My laptop has a 1070 Ti variant (P4200, link in sig) and a far, far worse CPU (Intel 4810QM) and gets better FPS, just for an idea of how much the 1660 Ti sucks.

Good to see a fellow Destiny 2 enjoyer here though.

May 31, 2022
Thank you for the reply. Setting it to adaptive doesn't seem to make much of a difference. From what I've seen in some benchmarks it should be performing much better(I get anywhere from 50 to 110). I still can't figure why lowering the graphics settings lowers the gpu usage instead of keeping it steady and increasing fps. I did a stress test with furmark and prime 95 and the gpu only went to 99% usage after about 7 minutes right when the cpu started thermal throttling.

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
Thank you for the reply. Setting it to adaptive doesn't seem to make much of a difference. From what I've seen in some benchmarks it should be performing much better(I get anywhere from 50 to 110). I still can't figure why lowering the graphics settings lowers the gpu usage instead of keeping it steady and increasing fps. I did a stress test with furmark and prime 95 and the gpu only went to 99% usage after about 7 minutes right when the cpu started thermal throttling.

Have you updated your drivers recently?

May 31, 2022
Just reinstalled win10(I had 11 before) yesterday and I updated the gpu drivers, chipset and tried downgrading the bios (and everything else that is on the drivers page on Asus' website). Also installed armoury crate which didn't seem to make any difference.

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
Just reinstalled win10(I had 11 before) yesterday and I updated the gpu drivers, chipset and tried downgrading the bios (and everything else that is on the drivers page on Asus' website). Also installed armoury crate which didn't seem to make any difference.

Run Cinebench R15 and R20 openGL tests and Passmark 3D test. Just Google each benchmark for download links.

Can also try Unigine Superposition.

Post scores here.

May 31, 2022
R15 openGL was 97.79 with ref match 98.79
R20 doesn't have openGL anymore.
PassMark 3D was 10591.
Unigine Superposition was 3107 on 1080p extreme(DirectX) and 2561 on openGL.
Most of these, except for cinebench are pretty much on par with how this gpu should perform. This somehow does not match the real-world performance.

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
PassMark 3D was 10591.

well, there it is.

Does your laptop pass the NVIDIA GPU through the Intel graphics? You lose ~10% performance with a mux like that.

My ZBook loses about 14% GPU from the HD4600 in my 4810QM.

The average PassMark score for the 1660 Ti is 11.5k, and getting 10.5k roughly translates to a 10% performance loss.

This video confirms your score, too. It's within 5%.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjeSm-qZ1DA

Jun 9, 2022
I'm in exactly the same situation. Same laptop. Just reinstalled w10, installed latest drivers , turned off turboboost etc. After my 1660ti reaches 75 Celsius FPS in game drops to 20-30.

Jun 9, 2022
Hello, I have some issues with my asus a15(4800h+1660ti), I'm getting unusually low fps on everything I try to play. Lowering graphics settings just lowers gpu usage with minimal change in fps. Just reinstalled win10, had win11 before. I get at most 90-95 cpu temp and 80-84 gpu temp. Bios is updated, so is chipset driver and gpu driver; dGPU is selected as main one, max performance is set in nvidia control panel. I get pretty avg results on stress tests. I've tried cleaning the fans and I'm currently waiting for a thermal paste. Also tried undervolting the gpu and downgrading the bios. I got no idea what to do at this point. Any help is appreciated.
View: https://imgur.com/a/wzWTQD0

Just downgraded BIOS version from 319 to 316 and the problem is solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.