Asus ux31 "Plugged in, not charging"

claec

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
My Asus ux31 ultrabook suddenly decided to stop charging this afternoon. The charger has a steady green light, and the windows status is "Plugged in, not charging". I've restarted, tried different sockets, etc. No change. Any suggestions?

Solution
"Plugged in, not charging"

Not necessarily a fault or error. When the battery is fully charged (100%) the charging circuit is automatically disconnected until the battery falls below 100% again. This prevents the battery being overcharged.

That's the same message I see on my laptop when the battery is fully charged when I mouse-over the battery icon.

phil22

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
"Plugged in, not charging"

Not necessarily a fault or error. When the battery is fully charged (100%) the charging circuit is automatically disconnected until the battery falls below 100% again. This prevents the battery being overcharged.

That's the same message I see on my laptop when the battery is fully charged when I mouse-over the battery icon.

Solution

claec

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Sorry, should have specified. The laptop was draining while giving the message. As in, under 20%. However, it seems to have solved itself after a few restarts anyways.

rwbrussels

Estimable
Oct 3, 2014
Hi - hoping people find my solution useful. I have an ASUS UX32A, but am guessing that this problem is common to their Zenbooks. When the laptop is fully charged, it will say "plugged in, fully charged", unfortunately, some laptops just stop charging the battery and the light on the plug blinks red and green meaning a fault, and will never charge again. I have read in other threads that this can be fixed by uninstalling drivers and unplugging the battery, but this has to be done constantly. On my UX32A the battery went down to 4% and refused to charge at all, even when shut off. But I figured out what the problem was: it is in the BIOS settings, for USB charging when off, and allow laptop to go into low power mode when off. These settings were ENABLED on mine the day the problems started, and the problems stopped when I disabled them. So it must be a bug in the BIOS. If you have the same problem, try changing these settings in the BIOS.

manujun

Estimable
Oct 4, 2014

can u teach me how to check if the settings were enabled?and how to disable them ?

rwbrussels

Estimable
Oct 3, 2014
> can u teach me how to check if the settings were enabled?and how to disable them ?

Yes - if you have the problem that the laptop is obviously plugged in but it says it is not charging, shut down the machine, and then hold F2 and start the laptop and it will go into the blue screen BIOS. Look in the different tabs or sections (depending upon the BIOS) until you find something like "USB Charging When Off" or "USB Charger +", and if this is enabled, disable it. Also disable the setting for "low power mode when off". Then save the settings and reboot. These were the problem on mine; being on they caused the laptop to always say "plugged in, not charging" until the laptop batteries went dead. Probably Windows 8.1 is asking the BIOS for the state of the battery and the charging system and these settings are interfering and causing it to report an error, so Windows tells the charging system to shut down...

[/quotemsg]

manujun

Estimable
Oct 4, 2014

[/quotemsg]

hi, i want to ask that if i don't disable the settings, the battery of my laptop will die easily?

manujun

Estimable
Oct 4, 2014

[/quotemsg]
erm there is no such option at bios there=-= how.....

jallison83

Estimable
Nov 15, 2014

Just to confirm this - I have a Zenbook UX32VD which one morning last week refused to charge - the charger simply blinking orange and green at me. Have just disabled the USB Charger + option in the UEFI bios, and everything is working again. No idea why it stopped working (the battery has done 416 cycles, with 16% wear according to HWINFO - http://www.hwinfo.com/). Annoyingly I've already ordered a replacement for it - but I guess the spare will be useful.

nolegs95

Estimable
Apr 10, 2015

So what do I do if my laptop is already dead flat and won't charge?

rwbrussels

Estimable
Oct 3, 2014
So what do I do if my laptop is already dead flat and won't charge?

It's possible your battery is just dead for some reason, but probably not. Try changing the settings in the BIOS as described here, to disable all power features. Then reboot, and it should hopefully start charging again.

nolegs95

Estimable
Apr 10, 2015

But how do I do that when I can't actually get on my laptop to do this?

rwbrussels

Estimable
Oct 3, 2014

Wow, not sure. It should boot up with the powerpack plugged in even if the battery is dead. If the powerpack light is not on, then the powerpack is faulty. If the powerpack light is on but you cannot get it to boot, I would suggest open the back of the laptop and unplugging the battery pack, and then try to reboot the machine from the powerpack. If that succeeds, you could plug the battery back in and it should charge. If that fails, you must have either a bad powerpack or motherboard...

nolegs95

Estimable
Apr 10, 2015

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately it was unsuccessful, all I know is there's no problem with the power cord, and the computer stopped charging as soon as the windows 8.1 update downloaded itself...

rwbrussels

Estimable
Oct 3, 2014
Yes, this happened to mine, too, it has to do with the power drivers that were updated by Windows 8. If you cannot boot the laptop at all, if it will not turn on, you probably have to open the laptop and remove the battery, boot up, reinstall the battery. If you can boot the battery will not charge, there are a lot of solutions on the web for this problem under Windows 8, most involve uninstalling the BATTERY driver through Control Panel. Will the machine go into BIOS at all?

nolegs95

Estimable
Apr 10, 2015
No I can't get it to go into anything at all, the only response I can get out of it at all is when I hold the power button and the battery light flashes on and off for a few seconds

Kanat Zaiitov

Estimable
May 7, 2015
Hi,
I have a UX32A with Windows 8.1 installed.
sometimes it is stopping charging (especially while playing games), and if I log out, it is charging again.

cannot understand what may be reason.

RazzleDazz

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015

Mine is doing the same thing now and has done before. Last time i just left it alone for the night and it was working again in the morning no problem. Hopefully it will fix itself againThis time