Solved! Asus UX330U doesn't charge

Jceg316

Estimable
May 7, 2015
Very strange problem. My Asus only charges under seemingly random circumstances. Here's what happens:

The laptop doesn't charge when plugged in. Sometimes it keeps flashing up on my screen "charging" then "on battery" immediately until I unplug the charger.

My laptop now doesn't charge from most plugs. There are one or two plugs it will charge from and I don't know why. I've tried different plugs in different houses and some work, most don't. Sometimes the ones that work won't work.

I've rebooted many times, I've uninstalled battery and charger in device manager, a few other things but don't know how to get it working.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Sounds like either a faulty battery charger/adapter or faulty battery.
Plug in the charger and remove the battery and run it that way and see the results.

gdmaclew

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Sounds like either a faulty battery charger/adapter or faulty battery.
Plug in the charger and remove the battery and run it that way and see the results.

Solution

Jceg316

Estimable
May 7, 2015

Unfortunately I can't take the battery out. I'm currently using my laptop not plugged in and it's working fine, battery is draining at the usual rate. I was looking at new chargers, they're not necessarily the cheapest things in the world, I'm wondering if there are any other fixes I can try before getting one.

tejayd

Proper
Mar 11, 2018
It's extremely unlikely the "plugs" have anything to do with it. Maybe a short in the wire and how the cord is laying from the outlet to where the laptop is sitting.

(I've owned a zen book. Asus went from my favorite part company, to one I'll never give any of my money again. (Ux31 I think) right after the warranty was up, basically the ssd went bad on everyone who bought them and ASUS wouldn't do anything about it. That's a whole another story)

Jceg316

Estimable
May 7, 2015
I agree it's unlikely the plugs have anything to do with it, makes no sense. However just now I was using a plug that works, unplugged and plugged into another which didn't work. Went back to plug no. 1 and it worked again. I've also tried wiggling both ends of the plug but makes no difference.

Jceg316

Estimable
May 7, 2015
I think I will get a new charger. I'm off on holiday tomorrow and was hoping this could get fixed before then (cutting it fine I know) so I'll look into this a bit more but if I can't fix it then order a new charger when I'm back.

Thanks for everyone's help so far!