Asus X58 optical sound output - stereo only?

knud

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Hello,

I have a Asus X58 motherboard and a NAD T757 receiver. I'm using an optical cable to connect them. I have front and back speakers connected but can only get sound in the front speakers.
Can someone confirm that I'm only able to get stereo output using the onboard optical output? Is there any way I can do something to get sound in all speakers without buying new cables and/or sound card?
If I am going to buy new equipment what would be the best choice? A new sound card that can handle 5.1 via an optical cable?

spentshells

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
Check how you are outputting over that connection in the control panel.
Confirm the source material is actually surround and in 6.1 which is the max output for the amp. Most of what is sold is either 5.1 or 7.1 .
Lastly check the application used to play the media, make sure it is set for surround.

knud

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009

I'm outputting is as optical via the onboard connection.

I just want Windows in general to play on all speakers, watching youtube etc.

knud

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009

I'm just using the Realtek audio manager. There is no option for me to change it from stereo to anything else. That's why I think the optical output can only do stereo. I'll try to update the bios today. I've read that it might be able to solve it.

knud

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009

That's under the 'Speakers' tab, right? I don't have the option to choose that one because I use the digital output.