Myntekt

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
Hello,
I want a sound card for my PC, but I don't really want to get an internal one, so getting one of those is out of the question.
As of the other option, I'm not sure which one of the two sound cards has a better sound quality. I'm talking about the Asus Xonar U7 and the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD and they cost roughly the same, so that's not really a problem.
Which one do you recommend?
Thanks

Solution
No, I like Asus products yes, and have been using them for years, I have a client with one of the U7s and loves it, as far as comparing, I glanced at user reviews on the Egg, I myself seldom use sound cards in builds, the current Codecs on the newer mobos, say the 1150 is quite good, maybe not audiophile level, but I normally suggest people at least try the on-board sound before getting a sound card as the money for a sound card can often be better spent elsewhere

Tradesman1

Honorable
No, I like Asus products yes, and have been using them for years, I have a client with one of the U7s and loves it, as far as comparing, I glanced at user reviews on the Egg, I myself seldom use sound cards in builds, the current Codecs on the newer mobos, say the 1150 is quite good, maybe not audiophile level, but I normally suggest people at least try the on-board sound before getting a sound card as the money for a sound card can often be better spent elsewhere

Solution

Myntekt

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

I had USB headsets before and now I bought the Kingston HyperX ones, 3.5mm, and they aren't as loud I wanted them to be. Since 60~80€ isn't that much, and since it provides better/louder audio, I'm getting it.
Thanks for your opinion.

Myntekt

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
I didn't really use a lot of headsets, so it's hard to tell. I've had the Gamecom 780, and used the G35 for a while but returned them (my memory is so good that I don't even remember, but I think it was related to a weird background noise). This one is the first good 3.5mm I've had, and I was kind of sceptical because I always thought that USB ones were better, but after reading some articles/forums online I got to the conclusion that 3.5mm headsets with another sound card, should be superior.
For your question, I like them a lot. No background noise, really confortable (like the 780, those were confortable too), well built, nice looking, the microphone is good (first it wasn't working well, but then I realised that is was very sensitive to the position; it has to be pointing directly at your mouth), and they sound really good. They also come with: changeable pads, one of them is leather and the other one is some kind of foam thing (I don't know what it is, but you probably know what I mean); an extention to the 3.5mm cable with a controller (sound/mic) and another really big extention (2 in total) since you might need a bigger cord; a mic+headset 3.5mm to a single 3.5mm adapter, for smartphones/tablets for example; an airplane adapter (so you can use it there); and last but not least a nice bag so you can carry them around. The only real con, is the fact that they are not as loud as I expected; the 780, for example, are louder (although the hyperx have a more clear/better sound), but I guess the soundcard should fix that.