asus zenbook UX305F doesn't turn on because of motherboard and microburn - hidden defect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetstef13

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017
Hello,

My Asus zenbook UX305F (or FA?), didn't turn on one day, when it was about to be 2 years since I bought it. The warantee was only for one year, so Asus simply said I could send it over and checked but it would be expensive...
Basically, I went to a local repairshop, and he said the motherboard had to be changed, as the possibly faulty components were welded to it. That was already going to cost over half the price of the computer! But I asked him to go ahead with it anyway...
And when I came to pick it up, he said that it still didn't work, or at least the screen didn't, and that there was a tiny burn mark on a component that works the screen. He had overlooked that the first time round. Replacing it would cost more than the price of a new computer, how ridiculous!

Since it was just 2 years old, and since he didn't understand how this could've happened (especially the micro burn), he thinks there was a hidden defect in my computer. I'm planning on defending my position and asking Asus for compensation, but I also want to know if other people have had similar problems, as this will also strenghten my point.

Thank you for your feedback!

sweetstef13

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017

Hello,
I've tested what I could, and my friend as well. The repairman took time to show me what he had done and tested, and is helping me write my letter to the company to point out the defect... So I think this one's not sketchy, he seems to really want to help. But thanks!

colossal45

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017
Hey,
I had this issue where 3 LEDs ( on the power button, F2 and caps lock) would light up and the display wouldn't power on. It started happening just after the 1 year warranty period (timing!) but it was intermittent and would usually resolve itself. But last week, it became permanent and the display would never power on (the laptop is 2 years old at this point).

I went to a shady repairman who tried something but eventually said that the motherboard had to be replaced, but he wasn't able to source one. So I went to the Asus service centre, but before handing it in, I had to sign a document that said they wouldn't be to blame if my data was lost. I hadn't taken a backup (couldn't), so I came back. I've been trying to buy a motherboard online on eBay or some other place. Haven't found a cheap one yet.

So, do let me know if the 3 LEDs light up for you as well. Quite a few people seem to have had this issue, and while I might get nothing from Asus because the repair guy tried some stuff that was irreversible, Asus definitely needs to be called out on this if it's a manufacturing defect.

Cheers!

sweetstef13

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017
Hello,

I've sent a letter to Asus, with papers from the repair shop explaining the diagnosis, and how irregular it all is.... I've basically asked Asus to find a suitable commercial outcome (refund or new laptop). I'll let you know what happens!

When my computer didn't turn on, none of the LEDs did either... The repairman thought at first that it might just be the power jack, but after the diagnosis it was the motherboard etc.

I've made it clear in my letter to Asus that I'm not the only one having problems, and that I will speak out about it, I hope they'll take this seriously. And if it turns out that there is a manufacturing defect, that they'll do the right thing too.

Good luck trying to find a cheap motherboard! The repairman thought that I should just get a new computer, that it wasn't worth buying the motherboard as it's over half the price of the computer... :(

well what the repairman said is true.best to get a new computer instead of getting a motherboard for a 2years old laptop.

sweetstef13

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017

I can understand the reasoning in that, yes, but I don't agree with computers being (badly) built to last only 2 years. Imagine the budget if I had to keep buying new ones! :p

erasousa

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
It is not a solution, it is an ASUS UX305F motherboard defect. I have 2 ASUS UX305F and both crashed. In those computers the motherboard failled euthout a possible cause except ASUS hiden motherboard defect.
The first obe crash at 6 months ahd the other after 2 years.
ASUS didn't assume any responsability for the eecond one byt they both didn't start and the answer is: change the motherboard.
ASUS UX305F zenbook is a bad computer. Do not by ASUS

sweetstef13

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017

Indeed, Asus's reply is that they can't do anything because it's out of the warranty time.... they don't address the issue of a built in defect.
They're basically trying to discourage me from taking it further, and honestly I don't know if I have the energy to do much. Thanks for your feedback anyway, it shows that this isn't an isolated case.

Feb 8, 2018
Hi
I am just wondering if you heard back from ASUS?
I have the same issue with my UX305F at 16 months!! My friend and I bought the same one, her motherboard was burnt at 11 months so she was lucky to have it fixed by best buy. however, I lost my laptop and all the data and ASUS said it would cost 500$ !!

sweetstef13

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017

Hi!
I received a letter saying they couldn't do anything, since it was out of the warrantee period. Since then, after receiving counsel from a consumer's association, I've tried to get hold of a registered expert at court : hey are the only ones whose diagnosis (if there was a hidden defect, a built in problem) is receivable in court... (I live in France, by the way, so procedures may vary from country to country). And if they find that there was a defect, I'd go to court against Asus, basically.

Sadly that seems it's the only thing I can still try. Problem is, the "experts", officially registered to do that sort of thing, are not wanting to do this work for me (they're retired, or not doing computers anymore etc. Pretty useless). This would also cost some money, as you can imagine!

Sorry, I don't think this is going to help you much. Honestly, I've kind of given up :(. Which is probably what Asus wanted. I'm suprised not more people are having similar problems, because if we went to Asus as a group then maybe they'd listen to us properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.