Asus Zenbook UX31A weird temporary and reoccurring keyboard problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianBot

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
So every so often a few keys on my Asus Zenbook UX31A stop working for 5-10 minutes. The D key, backspace, and left arrow (possibly a few others) occasionally stop working. I first noticed the problem when my log in password didn't work (contained a D). It's been reoccurring on and off with daily frequency for two weeks, now. Any help, ideas, or suggestions? It's really, really annoying.

Another less pressing issue is controlling the volume with the keyboard (Fn + F11/F12). The other function keys like sleep, brightness, and wiresless on/off work fine, just not the volume. Suggestions on that, too?

Thanks.

Solution
Hello, I had similar problems with this ultrabook, thought I'd detail how I fixed them. I dropped my Zenbook a month ago and the only effect was that various keys on the right side of the keyboard would not work for periods of time. Eventually, the Power button stopped working and when I let the battery run out of charge once, I could not turn it back on. I hunted for information online and eventually found this great guide, where a guy with similar keyboard issues fixed his UX31A keyboard:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Unresponsive+Keyboard+Keys/11932/1

I went to a local tool shop and picked up a screwdriver kit with a Torx T5 head and followed his instructions to re-insert and tighten the keyboard connector, which had come loose...
G

Hello,
I have the excact same problem. Same keys not working. Generally the keyboard works awful. Find a solution?

skipc1

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
My keyboard is doing the same thing. I tried uninstalling the keyboard in device manager and restarting but this hasn't changed the issue. The backspace, letter D, and up/down/left buttons do nothing when pressed. I've not spilled anything on it. Would love to know how to fix this as I really don't feel like going thru ASUS

Amartya

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Its not a software glitch guys the soldering on the back of this keyboard is very bad leading to faulty tactile feedback.
One option is to replace your keyboard they are available online but be warned this is not for rookies.Better go through ASUS

colum

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012

I'm also having the same problem with the same keys.

It's pretty intermittent - keys just stop working for a few minutes.
I also have the problem with the volume keys (ha!, just happened again), but it happens more often than the delete keys and doesn't seem to happen at the same time.
From what I've figured out, if a key doesn't work it's not down to pressing the button harder or in the centre. It does seem however that it's a software or driver issue as if you repeatedly press the key, it works one in 5 times or so.

In my case, I've only noticed it since upgrading to Windows 8, but I did that pretty soon after buying, so it may be just co-incidence.

Anyone return the laptop to Asus? Did they replace/repair? Any problem with this?

Colum

rubi76

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Having the same problem.
Used the computer perfectly for 3-4 months, but after a regular windows update keys D, Delete and a few more keys stopped working.
Using this computer for work - driving me nuts.
Contacted support, they sent me a link for a Keyboard Driver to upload.
It did nothing.
Contacted support again, they told me to send the computer in for repair.
They mentioned a turnaround of 14 days.
I use this EVERYDAY which means I don't even know when to send it in.

Very mad considering I spent $ 1600 for this.

etienne5

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012

Same thing for me,,, (dot key is not working -_-) For me it was after the upgrade to Windows 8, The "Page up" and "Page down" don't work as well, but these are permanent,

dtblair24

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Just got mine in today. Right out the box it had this issue. Backspace, enter, D,U.I,P,H,L,B,M,",',?/,,8,7,the delete key. Hell I am surprised the dang power button works and that I was even able to turn the thing on. Basically a ton of keys do not work, but sometimes they all do, sometimes different combinations or just a few will not work. Think their is no solution on our end. I hoped it was driver related but it seems like it is an hardware issue of some sort. It seems like an issue that has been documented, while not as popular as more common issues, I have seen it pop up on forums and user reviews before. Feel bad that I received a lemon, but I guess I am thankful that it is an issue that is so obvious so I can have it returned and refunded or swapped ASAP

mdmmica

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I have the same problem too. This problem started 1 month ago and alredy send to asus support team twice. The first time they change the motherbord but the first day when I tested after reparation I figured out that the problem still persisting, so I send it another time to asus. This second time they change the keybord but one more time the problem persist. This time I asked him to give me a new asus zenbook or refund me the money because this is not admissible. My advice for everyone that have the same ultrabook it is ask for a new one.
Another issue that I had observed when I received my ultrabook this second time is concerning the trackpad because he don't work very well isn't very sensitive to touch.

gcfriesen

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
I am having same problem. I got the following response from ASUS but have not tried it yet as I am trying to go through Staples my vender. From what I see in this forum, I doubt this will work.

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

For this issue, there maybe has something wrong with the OS, please use the recovery partition to restore your system for a try.
You can move your files to D drive, or back-up all your files to an external hard drive first and then transfer them back to your computer after the problem solved.

Please turn on the notebook. Press F9 as soon as you see the ASUS logo, and then choose the [Recover Windows to first partition only].
This option will delete only the first partition, allowing you to keep other partitions (D drive), and create a new system partition as drive “C”.
The restore function would delete all the files in first partition.

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,
Pig
ASUS Customer Service Center

Joakim

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Hello, I had similar problems with this ultrabook, thought I'd detail how I fixed them. I dropped my Zenbook a month ago and the only effect was that various keys on the right side of the keyboard would not work for periods of time. Eventually, the Power button stopped working and when I let the battery run out of charge once, I could not turn it back on. I hunted for information online and eventually found this great guide, where a guy with similar keyboard issues fixed his UX31A keyboard:

I went to a local tool shop and picked up a screwdriver kit with a Torx T5 head and followed his instructions to re-insert and tighten the keyboard connector, which had come loose just as shown in his photos. After that, I was finally able to turn my Zenbook Prime back on and I have since had zero problems with the keyboard, just as before I dropped it.

Probably not a good idea to use a Power key on the keyboard when your keyboard connector is so easily dislodged, Asus. I guess they had to cut corners somewhere to offer such a fantastic ultrabook at such a great price- the Zenbook Prime UX31A-DB51 is the best laptop I've ever had- and taping the keyboard connector into place is the result. :D I read all the Amazon reviews where users complain about the keyboard; not sure why their support guy who responds there keeps blaming the software and tells them to do a factory reset of the OS, when it's most likely this hardware issue, although perhaps there are software issues for others too.

If others who are willing to open up their ultrabook can try this fix out and post their results here, we can see how many people are affected by the same problem. It was a very easy fix for me, once I bought the Torx T5 screwdriver: just reconnect the keyboard connector, as shown in the photos. I'm glad I fixed it myself, as sending it back to Asus would have been a hassle, and who knows if they themselves realize this problem, considering their support guy keeps blaming the software on Amazon.

Solution

gcfriesen

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
hmm, sounds interesting.

I dont have a torx 5, as you didnt so will get one today and give it a try.

I have ha (ha gotta laugh - keyboard 'd' just stopped working .... working again now) further discussion with ASUS and they recommend flashing the bios and reinstalling the keyboard filter driver, but even that had its issues as the bios file they recommended is invalid.

thx for finding that fixit, I have been trying to find more on the issue but you obviously searched harder or better than I.

I too love the machine, but this keyboard issues sure annoys me. Nothing is perfect I guess.

Cheers, Thx for help, will get back to forum when I give it a try.

thomassster

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

I tried this and this seemed to fix my keyboard issue problem. I had this issue right out of the box (del, backspace, D button seem to not respond), so I found this and opened it up and connectors were kindof wobbly. The connector seemed to be in, but pushing it didn't seem to do much, but I tried anyways and pushed the connectors in. I pressed the connectors so they are pushed in as much as I can. screwed it back up and haven't had an issue with the del, backspace, or D problem. Thanks.

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Two UX31s (exchanged first) exact same problem keyboard problem with both - non-functioning keys that would change from one day to the next. Press harder and maybe key would work. Only guarantied workaround was to plug in an external usb keyboard.

Tried iFixit step-by-step fix before surrender to Asus warranty repair attempt - and loss of computer for two weeks. It works! And the instructions are clear and easy to follow with pictures showing the items involved. Thank you, Francis! I'm not sure how long that connector will stay in place but at least I know what to do when it comes lose.

gcfriesen

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
same comment as thomassster.
My connector also seemed to be in and pushing it in did not seem to be doing anything but firmed everything up I suppose and all ok for 5 or 6 days now.
ASUS and my vendor were not any use.
This forum gave me the answer.
Thx

rubi76

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
I confirm it works! (well it's been just 2 minutes since I fixed but so far so good...)
I was hopeless and about to send the computer in for repair after 3 days on the phone with useless customer service who made me download 10 non working patches!

Let me celebrate by typing

ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Thank you Joakim!

G

hi, glad to hear it worked for you. Does the fix last? i had the same problems with my D, backspace and delete, backa arrow key. my zenbook is 2 month old and think to follow the solution posted by this group. thanks, yw

Status
Not open for further replies.