AT&T Cracking Down on Cell Data Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Oh, way to go AT&T, keep on diggin' that grave...

First, Verizon proves that they have more 3G coverage, then you try to say they were misleading customers when they clearly werent and the judge all but laughed at you

Second, you cut data usage to add to the lack of 3G coverage you provide?

Keep up the good work, next task at hand? put time limits on all calls, that'll sell your business....

warlord1312

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
Do not tell me that it is going to be like Comcast with a bandwidth limit because in our modern age that should not be acceptable. They should just upgrade their network if it cannot keep up with its customers demands.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
hehe... total resistance to upgrading their network to actually service the client load they bring on... pathetic... but they don't really have any incentive to do so since no one with enough clout calls them on it and those that do have the ability to force change are easily bought... ah... capitalism at it's best!

G

Oh boo-hoo!
The whole idea of the "digital age" is too allow people to share
as much digital information as possible as cheaply as possible. These are the same complaints we get from companies that complain torrenting destroys the internet while companies such as Relic Studios switched to torrented patches in order to save bandwidth. These companies need to stop complaining that were using the products to do WHAT THEY WERE DESIGNED FOR, and instead focus on beefing up their networks to go along with their already inflated monthly fees. Either that, or start researching new ways to more efficiently send our information, and pass those savings onto the consumers that allow these companies to exist in the first place! (I'm mean seriously do you think your texts that they charge you for costs them anything?)

G

Then why do they allow you to watch you tube video's. Block it instead of blaming the customer! Consumption based pricing is BS. Record profits, a reduction of money spent on upgrading their network from year to year and if consumption based pricing hits then record profits from all the folks that will start getting charged for every Meg over the limit.

G

So they cannot produce a decent product without metering their usage.
That's great AT&T just give Verizon another reason to kick you.

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I would think that customer usage forecasting would be somewhat reliable at this point in the game for any major carrier. All the marketing we are bombarded with suggests and even encourages exactly what you are now trying to limit. What kind of shell game is this anyway and even more important, who is falling for it?

tmike

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
"We have the best network. But, please, don't use it much as it isn't so great at handling actual user traffic."

AT&T's being in the game does indeed result in the "best 3G experience", though: I avoid AT&T completely and lo and behold, I have a much improved "3G experience".

darkknight22

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
WAIT WAIT WAIT. Hold the phone. You're telling me that those that download and use their data plan to the extreme are going to get some kind of discount or other prize?!?!?

So those other 97% that fall under your 'normal use' category are status quo and get nothing?

Now I want to know what kind of 'incentive' ATT is going to give me to not leave them when my contract is up in 6 months.

G

jonpaul37++
"Keep up the good work, next task at hand? put time limits on all calls, that'll sell your business...."

They already do place a time limit on calls except it's random and they we call it dropped!

logitic

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
I smell a new Verizon commercial soon! lol This is kinda like watching a Soap Opera... Not saying I would watch such a thing or even know what a soa.... err you know what I mean :p

G

Perhaps the best incentive AT&T could offer is to let it's competitors sell the iPhone. Especially being he didn't quantify "3% of smart phones" by saying either "3% of the smart phones we offer" or "3% of the users of smart phones" etc... It sounds a LOT like these "incentives" would JUST be directed at iPhones users. Perhaps ALL iPhone users.

G

@ de la Vega

I have used 19.25 MB so far this month. How do I know this? AT&T application called 'mywireless' that lets me track minutes, messaging, and data usage.

I don't know whether to shake my head in anger or be happy. If you think less than 100 MB of data a month costs more than the $30 a month I've been shelling out to you, then you sir are an idiot. IF that is reasonable, then I better see some DANG good incentives...

Status
Not open for further replies.