Question audio changes when I switch between programs/desktop

Aug 16, 2023
Hi everyone. This is driving me nuts! When I have headphones plugged in/connected to my PC the audio changes when I switch programs. If I'm watching something in VLC and then switch to my browser for something it shifts. Becomes louder and shifts to what sounds like a different EQ setting (is the best way I can describe it). Same happens when listening to spotify and I go to my browser or a different program. It doesn't do this when I'm using the speakers. I don't have Dolby. And I've tried a pile of different settings with the headphones and windows sound settings, disabling enhancements, etc.

I had the sound settings window open when doing this and noticed that it cuts out the right channel on the earphones when switching. If I go let's say from Spotify to my desktop it the sound settings when I'm on spotify it shows both channels on and the volume shown is the main level of my pc (let's say 65). If I click on my browser the right channel is shown now at 0 and the left channel jumps to 73 even though my PC level is still at 65. Both the left and right earphone still have audio between the two levels.

Just for the hell of it I turned off the mic in settings and cut off access to all programs and the audio stays at 65. It also says "Host process for Windows Services" is using it when the volume shifts.

I also assume that it doesn't affect the speakers because the only mic I have is the headphones so no headphones, no mic.

Any clue??

Last edited:

akai331

Estimable
Jan 4, 2019
Make sure your audio drivers are up to date, and try disabling any enhancements in Windows sound settings. Set your headphones as the default playback device and ensure there are no separate audio settings within programs.

If the issue persists, try troubleshooting in safe mode and close unnecessary background processes.