lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've got a MSI GT 70 running Windows 8 and I'm trying to get audio out of the HDMI port.

I know to right click on the little speaker and open the Playback Devices but HDMI is not in the list.

I've also right clicked again and enabled showing disconnected devices. HDMI is just not showing up in the list at all like it does on the desktop or other laptops.

I tried to update drivers but Windows claims all the drivers are up to date but that is almost certainly not correct.

How to get HDMI on the playback device list?

Solution
Can you give your monitors make and model? I have a Samsung S27C750P and when connected to my graphics card shows up in the Playback devices. However this monitor doesn't have any speakers. If I select this monitor as my default playback device, I don't get any sound. So for whatever reason, my graphics card thinks there is an playback device on the HDMI cable, I don't know if the monitor is reporting a feature it doesn't have or if the graphics card is assuming there are speakers. Either way, I can't use my monitor to play sound.

techgeek

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004
In Playback devices look for the display device you have your HDMI cable connected to. For instance my monitor is connected via HDMI, so I see S27C750 NVIDIA High Definition Monitor. If I wanted to play sound from here, I'd make it the default playback device.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So the plot thickens. It turns out that the laptop will output HDMI audio just fine to our TV but my monitor with built in speakers does not show up in the list. Evidently the issues is with the monitor not the laptop...

techgeek

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004
Can you give your monitors make and model? I have a Samsung S27C750P and when connected to my graphics card shows up in the Playback devices. However this monitor doesn't have any speakers. If I select this monitor as my default playback device, I don't get any sound. So for whatever reason, my graphics card thinks there is an playback device on the HDMI cable, I don't know if the monitor is reporting a feature it doesn't have or if the graphics card is assuming there are speakers. Either way, I can't use my monitor to play sound.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS