Audio/Video gets choppy sometimes (I have a video of the problem)

Daniel Ferri

Estimable
Dec 22, 2014
I just bought a new HP ENVY TouchSmart M7-J120DX Core i7-4700MQ, 8GB, 17.3 FHD LED Touch-screen Laptop. It's a $1,000 new laptop but I bought it refurbished for $600.
It's great but there is one thing it does sometimes. I have a video to show as well.

Sometimes when I'm watching videos or listening to music, suddenly the sound/video will become very choppy and everything slows down. Hovering over things with the mouse become slow too sometimes. Button's don't realize their "hovered over" until 5 seconds of hovering of it.

It happens pretty rarely. Maybe once every 2 days at random times. I noticed a quick fix for this is when I unplug my USB audio interface and plug it back in. However, this problem happens even when my audio interface IS NOT plugged in. So when that happens, the only thing I know to do is to restart the computer.

I thought maybe it could be a graphics card issue because it started happening when I went to full screen on YouTube once but it also happened when I was just streaming a radio station (no video) so it's confusing.

4th Gen Intel® CoreTM i7-4700MQ processor
I believe it has Intel HD Graphics 4600 with up to 1793mbps total graphics memory

Here is a video
http://youtu.be/zsPaiTd2_PU

Daniel Ferri

Estimable
Dec 22, 2014

Thanks for the quick response. I did what that article said and I had a Java update available so I did that as well. I'll see if that fixes the problem.... I did notice this seems to happen almost every time my laptop goes from "sleep mode" or having the display turned off to going back on.

morgilroka

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
It's happened to me as well, Once in a while i get a pause for 1-2seconds about 5seconds into a video. then it's fine the entire vid. I'm convinced it's a youtube problem with flash/java

Daniel Ferri

Estimable
Dec 22, 2014

Unfortunately, that did not fix it. I turned on my laptop this morning, went to a YouTube video and have the same problem :(