Audiophile on-ear headphones for Iphone

TheRealBeandip

Estimable
Dec 30, 2014
I want to get a pair of good audiophile headphones for my Iphone 6.

Currently I use a pair of Bowers and Wilkins P5s. Ive used them for quite awhile and dont like the sound. They get distortion and chirping at high volumes, also the treble is ear piercingly high.

On my PC I use a pair of AKG Q701s with a Schiit Magni 2 amp. I really like the sound and would be happy with something similar for my phone.

I dont care about microphone or inline remote functionalities.

Wired or bluetooth is ok

My budget is up to 400 USD

I listen mostly to varying subtypes of metal. (Examples: power, folk, black, thrash, etc)

TheRealBeandip

Estimable
Dec 30, 2014
I looked into the Grados you mentioned and saw there is an sr225i and sr225e.

How different are the two sets?

Theyre also open back. These headphones will mostly be used in a car/around other people. How bad is the soundleak on these at higher volumes? My AKGs leak a lot of sound, but for them it doesnt matter because theyre my main home desktop set.

The other thing is there are no Hi-Fi stores where I live. The only electronics store in town is a small radioshack

random stalker

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
personally I prefer open back, so I won't get hit by oncoming traffic... but yes, they will be leaking a lot of sound from outside.

as for the e vs i:
the e is newer, has better bass, clearer sound and wider soundstage,
the i is not as loud and has better trebble /which makes guitars and guitar solos more alive/.

so it comes all to your preferences, one should listen to both of them /especially since they are grados, because they have their distinctive sound/ for a while and choose...

TheRealBeandip

Estimable
Dec 30, 2014
Unfortunately i cant test either. The only headphones radioshack carries are skullcandies and beats, not great options.

I also prefer open back sound though.

Ill likely go with the e instead of the i then. Clearer sound is a big deal and i like a little bass. You seem pretty knowledgable and I cant test myself so Ill ask you, how much worse is the treble on the e? If its not bad ill likely get them. If its terrible ill get the i.

EDIT: Actually for 90 Dollars extra only I might as well get the 325e. Worthy upgrade to the 225i/e

random stalker

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
personally I wouldn't spend more than $200 on grado headphones if I wasn't 100% in love with them :D

the other question - not much /since it's only a based fanboy preference/, they are both great. like I said, all it comes down is 'a little bit livelier solos' vs 'better bass and more neutral sound'. since grados already have coloured sound, everything has its good and better sides :D

TheRealBeandip

Estimable
Dec 30, 2014
Ok thanks. I tend to prefer more neutral.

My problem with those senns is the double headband, I always found that very uncomfortable. Maybe I have an odd shaped head or its the long hair.

I really appreciate all the help by the way.

Are there any sets you could think of for my usage with a more neutral sound?

TheRealBeandip

Estimable
Dec 30, 2014

I did consider those but they had a lot of bad reviews from what I saw. I just purchased a pair of Sennheiser Momentum M2s. Ill update the thread based on how they perform

Theyre over ear as opposed to on ear but are still fairly small and portable.