AutoCad 2008

jwilliewilson

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
As a 67 year old architect I thought I was retired BUT the economy (my vanishing retirement) has forced me back into work. I have a one man shop and I need a computer that will run AutoCad 2008. I think I want 32 bit. this is what AutoCad tells me:
Minimums - Intel Pentium 4 processor 2.2 GHz
2 GB ram
1280 X 1024 32 bit display
color video display adapter (True Color) 128 MB or greater
OpenGL or Direct 3D capable graphics card
250 MG hard drive ought to be plenty
I don't play computer games, watch dvds or do anything other than draw buildings - though I have done some 3D which I understand requires some 'gaming' type specs.
When I ask Dell, HP, Gateway, etc. they all recommend laptops that seem to me to be higher powered than I need. (Is 1440 X 900 resolution going to make all that much difference to me?)I expect to be in business for 3 to 5 years and then I'll retire come hell or highwater so I don't need anything all juiced up that I can update to keep up with the times. I will take the laptop into the field but when I'm in the office I can hook up another monitor so I don't need a huge screen (big enough to be seen and understood in the field). Any suggestions for something in the $1000 range or less?

frozenlead

Distinguished
Your screen resolution matters very much so when doing work on your computer - it allows you to see more at once, so you spend less time scrolling and more time working.

You actually want 64-bit, as it allows you to utilize more RAM to power your work.

Really, for CAD programs, you should get a professional graphics card, but in your budget, I don't think that's possible. A gaming card should still do alrigt.

This sager, outfitted with a 1680x1050 screen and a 2.4GHz processor should do you great. It's got a midrange 9600mGT, which is pretty powerful for a gaming card, and will do well in CAD apps, too. It's just a hair over $1000, with those two upgrades.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/product_customed.php?pid=91133

jwilliewilson

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Thanks! The sanger sounds perfect and I think I can stretch for that one!