AutoCad Power User Laptop Needed

craisbeck

Estimable
Oct 9, 2015
I understand that there is not a clear answer to the following question, but I am in the market for a new laptop that can handle extensive 3-D AutoCAD work. I'm not a brand guy and would consider any "brand"

The AutoCAD website list a few recommended machines, but I'm not sure the review is comprehensive nor considers all the different options. Budget isn't that important, because speed as a user will more than return any investment I have in a good quality machine.

I am asking for recommendations on a laptop brand/model that will handle 3-D modeling, dual screens, plenty of RAM and most importantly AutoCAD. I believe that AutoCAD is limited to a single processor. If this is true, I am thinking less processors that are larger would be a benefit.

It has to be a mobile station, so desktops are out.

Advice, criticism and recommendations are appreciated. Sharing Knowledge makes us all better!

giantbucket

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
i would assume that anything with a modern (Sandy and newer) i3 / i5 /i7 with the fastest clock speed you can find would be the best place to start. obviously blow away all of the AMD units. yeah, for the most part AutoCAD is single-threaded except for very specific tasks (and only those tasks).

no idea on models or brands, though. Dell, maybe? i've yet to install full AutoCAD on my E6420, but it handles the viewers just fine with 8G of ram. bought it as a refurb for $250. i5-2520M processor.