Back with Windows for the first time in a long time, whats the situation with Anti-Viruses?

7GLuke

Estimable
Nov 5, 2015
Hi guys!

As you can see by the title I am back to Windows after taking a little break and going over to OS X. I still do use OS X a lot for my developing and work and etc but I also built this PC for gaming and stuff.

What is the best anti-virus at the moment? I think before I just used Microsoft Security Essentials and MBAM. Is that still a good choice?

Thanks to anyone who helps me out!

Solution
Bitdefender, Trend Micro and Avira have been ranked higher than most. Windows Defender/MSE is better than nothing but still not on par with a lot of other options, some of which are also free. I tend to push Avira because not only does it rank up there with the best paid solutions but its free and not annoying as hell as some other options have become.

azaran

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
For free AV, Avira is getting the best results right now. Avast and AVG have gone the way of regular pop ups and trying to load bloadware.
A couple of good testing sites for up to date ratings on AV are
https://www.av-test.org/en/
and
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Malwarebytes is still a big player in the anti malware game and is always a good tool to have in the ol chest.

7GLuke

Estimable
Nov 5, 2015

Yeah I am really trying to avoid regular pop-ups and bloated software. I just want something which does the job and is nice and lightweight. What is Avast like these days? I have seen a few people talking about it in this forum.

Right awesome so I think I will go ahead and download MBAM.

RunLuke

Estimable
Dec 8, 2014
I only use MSE. I don't dodgy pages and only have geniunie stuff on my computer. Also I format it a lot and keep an eye on network activity.

I have no idea if MSE is enough, but I've used nothing else since it came out, so I'd say you are pretty safe if you have some sort of idea what you are doing, which it seems, since you develop and stuff.

azaran

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010

Avast has gotten annoying with pop ups trying to get you to buy and upgrade the software and offers of system cleaners and the like. I'd really stay clear of it. MSE isnt bad, but there are better free options out there like Avira.

Akarin

Estimable
Nov 19, 2014
I've heard good reviews about Bitdefender too, but it's a bit hard to say as I (and many others) have decided to stick with Windows Defender since the Windows 10 update. I really don't think there's much advantage using a free AV, even paid AVs aren't really THAT safe from what I know.

azaran

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Bitdefender, Trend Micro and Avira have been ranked higher than most. Windows Defender/MSE is better than nothing but still not on par with a lot of other options, some of which are also free. I tend to push Avira because not only does it rank up there with the best paid solutions but its free and not annoying as hell as some other options have become.

Solution

7GLuke

Estimable
Nov 5, 2015

Yeah I don't just download anything and go to loads of random websites. I am careful about what I visit and etc so maybe just Windows Defender and MBAM will be enough for me?

7GLuke

Estimable
Nov 5, 2015

At this point unless another stick-out solution comes along I think I will just use Windows Defender alongside MalwareBytes and that sounds like it should be fine!

7GLuke

Estimable
Nov 5, 2015

I am going to take a look at Avira I think online and see what people say about it! Thank you for the recommendation man I appreciate it.