Ballmer Admits Windows Phone 7 Sales Are Disappointing

Status
Not open for further replies.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
WP7 really is a great mobile OS, and unlike android it actually brings something new and interesting to the mobile platform rather than just copy the stayed and boring apple 4x4 grid of icons of apps that don't seem to be integrated in any meaningful way.
It will be interesting to see what Nokia's re-entry into the smartphone market will bring. Their maps service is amazing.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I love my HTC Trophy. I can't wait for the Mango update, but I still like the current version. I'm also interested in seeing what Nokia can bring to WP7.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Give it time. He's right about being optimistic. With RIM in the toilet, WebOS out of the picture, there is room to grow. iOS and Android are titans right now but WP7/WP8 coupled with Nokia's brilliant hardware could end up being a huge threat, ESPECIALLY if Microsoft could find way to bridge the enterprise gap RIM left open.

topcms

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
," All Things D quotes Ballmer as saying. "They are not doing something on Android or [any other operating system]." I disagree with what was told, I think that what he really means is now windows have someone making a windows hardware specifically. Now there is a chance for windows to show it's power on a Hardware to Software perfectly integrated system. I can't figure how haven't they done this before. And i think if it weren't for apples hardware to software perfection they would have got nowhere.!!! You don't need to be a genius to figure that out. I really hope for microsoft to become one of our choices.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I looked at Windows Phone 7 a while back. I have a Windows Mobil 6 pocket PC, and there were a few things that I consider unacceptable for me to switch to a WP7 device. 1. It formats your SD card making it useless outside of the device - I have a mapping app for WM6, OnCourse Navigator 8, that is tied to the card, and the format would destroy the app. 2. It did not support multitasking at the time that I looked at it. 3. There were no mapping apps that meet my requirements that list support for WP7. I do not need the "phone" part, but I would consider getting a WP7 phone to replace my PocketPC if these issues were cleared up.

G

I have a htc hd7 and i like it a lot and now having manjo, the major improvements from nodo to mango is dramatic. I think that windows phone will be able to surpass ios in a couple of years. The reason why is because when people realize that apple iphones were just a fad and their hardware behind their phone is obsolete compared to many android phones and the new wp7 phones.

tramit

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
The concept is nice, but the sales aren't there. People are being acclimated to the iOS and Android interface and with the progression of time, I still believe they have their work cut out for them. That won't change much with Windows 8 either when most people still associate a Windows OS to correlate with PCs. Not everyone is a tech head, therefore, people born in the Millennium Era are also proned to branding. Android and iOS have been engraved into a huge portion of this communicating population.

haplo602

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
can WP7 sync directly to outlook ? no exchange or any stupid cloud but direct Outlook ? That's why I don't have Android.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Even though I don't like Apple we haven't heard anything about Steve Jobs since he resigned. Leads me to believe he's not well.[/citation]
It is a well known fact that Jobs has been fighting pancreatic cancer for YEARS
With your astute detective skills have you thought about working for the City Homicide department?

G

Allow users to modify mango as they like, add in file manager and registry support. You'll get a large boost in your sale of WP7. Don't do that, and all you can say to the press is We haven’t sold quite as many as I would have liked...… I'm not saying I love where we are, but I am very optimistic on where we can be.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Tommy1979[/nom]Allow users to modify mango as they like, add in file manager and registry support. You'll get a large boost in your sale of WP7. Don't do that, and all you can say to the press is We haven’t sold quite as many as I would have liked...… I'm not saying I love where we are, but I am very optimistic on where we can be.[/citation]
I had a WM6.5 phone and it allowed all that stuff, almost like a desktop OS, but I had my laptop with me as well, I wanted something fast and easy to use, WP7 is a breath of fresh air.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
If Microsoft wants Windows Phone to sell, they need to do the same thing as the ATRIX 4G, basically be able to turn it into a laptop or run your Desktop from a cell phone. Yes, that would mean your mobile phone would have to be able to play Crysis.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Considering Microsoft is going against a sea of media that's biased for either Android and iOS, I am not surprised. In fact I'm amazed Microsoft has sold this many despite going against pretty much everyone in the tech industry.

equ7

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Looks like "every one" that has bought a WP7 can commented above. I still have never seen a WP7 "in the wild". And as Microsofts normal responce to sales failure is a new version. Whats you bet for a summer 2012 launch of WP8?

noonin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
How does a company with so many resources, past success, and potential, put up with a clown like Steve Ballmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.