Ballmer Calls Vista A 'work In Progress'

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasxstewart

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
iNDEED updates have tremendously improved vista ultimate & hardware has pushed forward slightly. Mainly hardware is short, X48 only real option & 890 coming in some time. Then maybe ultimate in post XP hardware world that emerges will be retail oem machine.
Signed:pHYSICIAN THOMAS STEWART VON DRASHEK M.D.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
The biggest problem with Vista is the UAC alerts, but I can understand why Microsoft made them so annoying: it was meant to be a stick in order to make software developers code correctly for Vista's software protections.

Personally, I think that the ONLY time that a program, game, etc. should pop up a UAC dialog is when it is first installed or it is changing registry or hardware settings.... that's it, and for games and most programs.... there is no need for either of the two latter situations to pop up.

thomasxstewart

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Yeah, it can be newb thing, just Seeming plain wasteful in time. However, like cop who never hears own siren it can be laerned to be ignored. there is also way to turn OFF select UAC items at: http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2950063&SiteID=17

has got some ideas how to get into registur? or control panel to do that. Its NOT so Hot of idea though, because each complex change takes realignment of many subroutines coming into effect existing system & UAC windows help isolate each set of events as unique in overal picture of many operations going on simultaneously. So they stay seperate & not Mix & Freeze system. Also it makes desktop user seem more IT/admin.

Signed:pHYSICIAN THOMAS STEWART VON DRASHEK M.D.

G

Hey Stevie B, how about you return my money for Vista until you're done with it, and then I'll consider paying for it?

animehair

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Im more irritated that so soon after Vista has been released, that they are on the brink of releasing yet another new OS Windows 7...It almost looks like Vista will become the next Windows ME.

TomRon

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
I've been using Vista for about a year. I like its look and feel and some of its display features. It might be my imagination but Id find that some things like file searches run faster. It was a pain at first; but that's the price all early adopters pay. Win7 is far enough in the future, I don't think we should be crying about Vista's short life cycle, yet.

TomRon

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
I've been using Vista for about a year. I like it. The display features are useful to me. I fancy that some things run a little faster than XP; might be my imagination. Win7 is far enough in the future and no sure thing; I'm not going to start worrying about Vista having a short life cycle, yet.

G

Vista is a jackass of an OS!

Sorry to the Vista lovers, but pretty doesn't make it useful. UAC isn't even that big of an issue, however it is when it is so difficult to do work. Usually besides gaming, the consensus is to work on a computer, the greater part of the world WORKS on a computer....

G

Vista x64 annoyed gently for a year, but I'm an apologist and stuck with it. SP1 killed my machine (couldn't boot into Vista at all), which was when I finally reverted back to XP.

Vem0m

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
@memetech That is why anyone with a brain knows to install service packs from clean installs of the OS. Congratulate yourself reverting to a dead os was a better choice then learning how to run a computer.... SP1 seen vast speed improvements, Sad to see so many "tech guys" that are nothing more then idiots without any knowledge of how things work

G

Vista = Windows ME. Microsofts Quest for more money. XP needed a few security fixes, not a make over to look like a MAC. They should fire the person who wrote Vista. Slower, requires more memory, it only has more security because it keeps prompting you for everything. Windows XP beta and RC's were better than Vista with SP1.

Make Windows XP 2008, dump vista.

Vem0m

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
@pman2007... Wrong at first it would seem that way but so did XP in early times.... Its not slower its actually faster and more efficient if you have to right parts(You can get for under 500) Stop whining and move on XP is dead slow and bloated these days next to Vista hell with each update XP slows down more that is what is also different between XP and Vista MS handles updates better. Stop talking child unless you know what really goes on with computers. Vista is the future and the future is now. Load a Dual core CPU and 2 GB ram decent newer Video card and you will be fine, I am tired of having to explain this to all you children.

G

So many people here are complaining about uac as if it can't be turned off in about 3.5 seconds. Quit whining about useless and make a non whining comment for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.