Bangladesh Bans Facebook

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

unrealpinky

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Religious tolerance is a two-way street. As non-Muslims, I do not see a problem with promoting education of the Muslim faith and teach an "understanding" of their ways and belief. Such education would do wonders to avoid such incidents and promote tolerance.

On the flipside, Muslims should also understand and accept the fact that the whole world is not Muslim and with the various different beliefs out there (including atheists) that "transgressions" are unavoidable and should be responded to with tolerance and enlightenment. I'm sure that there are many Muslims out there that follow this, but they seem to be a quiet majority, and need to speak out louder to drown out the extremists.

One can dream...

firekraker

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
I'm sorry but Muslims are far more unforgiving than most other religions. What about all the Christians that have to put up with bible burnings, Jesus covered in excrement, pee, etc. I don't see the christian community bringing the planet into some grand planetary self destruction process.

You must learn to tolerate the rest of the world. I understand that Mohamed drawings are against scripture but if I wanted to draw him then I will and should expect no reprisals or death sentences for exposing my opinion. I am sure Muslims have drawn many kind of anti-religious pictures with no global pandemic as a response by Christians or other religions for that matter.

Time to move on and catch up with the modern time. Team work. Not bigotry.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]wintermint[/nom]Don't blame them cuz they're not ??? citation]
they're smart ??? because they'll proxy.

And your not smart enough either.

Any more inappropriate language and you can have a 2 day ban too ..

showape

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
[citation][nom]cielmerlion[/nom]Wow Toms is slipping. You guys realize that the ban has already been lifted right? It was lifted before you even put the article up. Seriously.[/citation]

Yeah? Doesn't seem to me that way buddy. I'm a Bangladeshi in Bangladesh right now and I'm forced to hide my IP to visit facebook. Btw I'm also a Muslim. Mocking Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh)is something we consider worse than burning down a Mosque. Blocking fb was a necessary move in that regard. Also, I agree with 'Anonymous'about self defence being the only violence allowed in Islam. Terrorists are just terrorists, not 'Muslim' terrorists, as they're far from the main goal of Islam, or any religion for that matter - peace.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
After Pakistan, democracy is now dead in Bangladesh as well. I guess for all those "moderate Muslims" that are supposedly out there it seems like there aren't a lot of them in positions of power.

zmbcat

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Sorry but no matter how you look at it, taking such religious "blasthemies" so seriously just shows how "lacking" the islamic culture has become. Sure, west has its own social problems, but the lack of interest/respect for christianity came from scientific progress and development of social level, human rights etc.

The people doing this arent just "trolling", they want to show that it isnt exactly "right" for such a huge number of people to take their religion above all else - they want arabs to start looking at life through modern perspective.

So banning of facebook basically says "we dont want to change, we want to keep our medieval traditions and fuck off rest of the world".

I guess this isnt the right forum for this though:D

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
oh, come on. For 600 years my people were under Muslim rule and guess what? A church was not allowed to be any higher than a Muslim on a horse and thats the least you could expect from Muslims when they gain the upper hand. They have proven it over and over again in many parts of the world even in modern times that they'll seek and annihilate anything that's not their way. Muslims have a total disrespect for other peoples' lives and culture. It's not just some terrorists it's the religion and their prophet. Read some history and you'll see that in Islam from the very beginning everything is all about violence. From the prophet and his war to his successors and the Umaiyads...

BTW I am agnostic and I don't care about any religion I do see major problems in any Judaism based religions.

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Zingam, seriously you were not under muslim rule, don;t use the whole "my people" routine that's so low. So quit complaining, your just as bad as modern day jews who talk as if they themselves survived the holocaust, give it a rest. Shit happens, just chill you intolrant a-holes. Learn to respect others, seriously.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]when you attack black people, they call it racism. When you attack Jewish people, they call it anti semitism. When you attack women, they call it sexism. When you attack homosexuality, they call it intolerance. When you attack your country,they call it treason. When you attack a religious sect, they call it...hate speech. But when they attack the Prophet (PBUH), they want to call it freedom of speech.Yeah i'm a muslim. Have some respect. People can avoid situations liek this easily by NOT drawing him. It's not like it's getting in people's way. People are ignorant.[/citation]

I know that oppressive Islamic regimes like to liken religion to race (by forbidding conversions and having separate laws for people with different faiths), but out here in the civilized world we distinguish between personal characteristics that you were born with (like the color of your skin) and the ideas that you carry with you. These are indeed very different things: criticism of Islam or the prophet are nothing like racism, they're exactly the same thing as criticizing the ideas of a political party, or an ideology like fascism. If you ban criticism on Islam you ban criticism on every idea and ideology, making rational discussions and progress impossible. You criticized racism in your post, and I'm sure there are a few klan members out there who find that very offensive, should you now be arrested like Mahbub Alam Rodin for insulting the beliefs of the Ku Klux Klan? Hell, Islam itself began as a criticism of older religions and practices, maybe they should have arrested and silenced the prophet back then...
Banning criticism of an idea or ideology can only be justified if you can objectively proof that that idea or ideology is flawless and right on everything, and that's impossible with a religion because they are based on faith, not proof.

cobot

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]when you attack black people, they call it racism. When you attack Jewish people, they call it anti semitism. When you attack women, they call it sexism. When you attack homosexuality, they call it intolerance. When you attack your country,they call it treason. When you attack a religious sect, they call it...hate speech. But when they attack the Prophet (PBUH), they want to call it freedom of speech.Yeah i'm a muslim. Have some respect. People can avoid situations liek this easily by NOT drawing him. It's not like it's getting in people's way. People are ignorant.[/citation]

And you can avoid these situations by not caring. Then it will stop. I certainly do not support these drawings or things like this in any way, it shows a lack of respect, but don't you realize that the attention given to this is what fuels it?

Accept that much of the world is not muslim and do not share your values. We have to do the same with you.

Do you not believe that your God is able to bring judgement upon those who dishonor him? Why are you trying to take his place?

G

[citation][nom]w1zz4[/nom]when you attack black people, they call it racism. When you attack Jewish people, they call it anti semitism. When you attack women, they call it sexism. When you attack homosexuality, they call it intolerance. When you attack your country,they call it treason. When you attack a religious sect, they call it...hate speech. But when they attack the Prophet (PBUH), they want to call it freedom of speech.Yeah i'm a muslim. Have some respect. People can avoid situations liek this easily by NOT drawing him. It's not like it's getting in people's way. People are ignorant.[/citation]

So what your saying is that my freedom of speech is of no use because of your prophet. Please... Learn to grow up

cj_online

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
[citation][nom]Pyroflea[/nom]This is precisely what I was getting at. The reason people continue to do such things are for the thrill of it. In reality, people do things to get reactions out of people. The more extreme the reaction, the more this action will be carried out. If they (meaning the extremists, not all Muslims) just sit back and ignore it, people will stop doing it, and move on to trollin' someone else. Then everybody is happy.[/citation]

Yea that's not how religion works... imagine if countries started "trolling" each other... yes a WWIII might take place...

It's not about how "mature" or "grown up" you are... regardless of ur age... Muslims will not tolerate something that's insulting their religion... even if it is to spout hatred..

This ain't ur playground.. watch what you do when you get involved into religion and politics ;)

cj_online

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
[citation][nom]mb503[/nom]So what your saying is that my freedom of speech is of no use because of your prophet. Please... Learn to grow up[/citation]

It's hate speech you moron. Why don't you grow up and snap out of that childish act you're pulling... disguising hatred and offensive drawings as "Freedom of Speech"..

cj_online

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
[citation][nom]firekraker[/nom]I'm sorry but Muslims are far more unforgiving than most other religions. What about all the Christians that have to put up with bible burnings, Jesus covered in excrement, pee, etc. I don't see the christian community bringing the planet into some grand planetary self destruction process.You must learn to tolerate the rest of the world. I understand that Mohamed drawings are against scripture but if I wanted to draw him then I will and should expect no reprisals or death sentences for exposing my opinion. I am sure Muslims have drawn many kind of anti-religious pictures with no global pandemic as a response by Christians or other religions for that matter.Time to move on and catch up with the modern time. Team work. Not bigotry.[/citation]

Insulting other religions is strictly forbidden in Islam... we ain't as cowardly and/or low life's to spew hatred towards other religions... dunno about the extremists,which might I add are NOT muslims, but Islam doesn't allow this by any means.

kingraven

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008

Slandering any of said groups IS freedom of spech! Sexism, racism, whateverism is NOT illegal!
Disrespectful? Certainly! Distasteful? shure. Illegal? Certainly NOT!

To be perfectly honest, religious slandering is covered in freedom of speech in most western countries because these are secular countries (separate church from state) and therefore the law doesn't cover religion specific views (ideally anyways).
Meaning, (in my case I live in Portugal, Europe) you can draw Jesus humping a cow, Mohammed cheering him, whatever other religious nono's with relative impunity, just as you can draw the president saying "I am HITLER!!" or whatever.
And yes, you can shout "you damn dirty (insert whatever color or creed) in the middle of the street.
Should you target a specific person, you "might" get charged with slander, stalking or something like it.
And if you target a specific faith, race or creed, and you get sufficient coverage, I suppose the targeted group could sue you for slander as well (mind you I am NOT a lawyer, so not sure).
You could certainly NOT block an entire social network for the dubious actions of some people on it.

Freedom of speech, admittedly, is a tricky little idea and tolerance is certainly key.

To sum it up, NOT drawing him is IMO not the answer. It would be more like either ignoring it or just outright go there and comment negatively as it is your right.

ElysianMerc

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
[citation][nom]FrozenGpu[/nom]Zingam, seriously you were not under muslim rule, don;t use the whole "my people" routine that's so low. So quit complaining, your just as bad as modern day jews who talk as if they themselves survived the holocaust, give it a rest. Shit happens, just chill you intolrant a-holes. Learn to respect others, seriously.[/citation]

Or modern Arabs/Muslims talking about the crusades?

kingraven

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
And on a side note, for all you quick to judge types, terrorists are not Muslims, racists are not white, sexists are not men. (crap, I actually know a black woman that doesn't like blacks!).
Middle eastern cultures IMHHHHHO(let me stress the H) are somewhat prone to extremism but considering all the shit western countries (cogh cogh Europe, cogh US) have done there(there literately) over the course of history I suppose it was predictable..
Religion there is in majority Islamic so.. Terrorist are usually Islamic.
And as extremists usually do, they warp whatever original creed they follow to fit their claims and objectives.
Hum.. so?
Terrorists are terrorists and should be addressed as such. Not "white" terrorists, not "Islamic" terrorists, not "bearded" terrorists... Just. Plain. Terrorists.

It saddens me much when they have people so nervous that even in my "beloved" Europe, the french feel the "need" to pass a law not allowing religious "items" in schools. A clearly anti-freedom-of-speech law.
I assume the law was proposed/approved with the best of intentions but it is IMO and horrendous law.
France is in majority Christian. An obvious and already observed after effect is that little girls continue to use cross pendants because it is essentially aesthetic and no police stops it but a simple veil in a Muslim girl is quickly jumped on.
Sad. Very sad.. :(

G

oh, come on. For 600 years my people were under Muslim rule and guess what? A church was not allowed to be any higher than a Muslim on a horse and thats the least you could expect from Muslims when they gain the upper hand. They have proven it over and over again in many parts of the world even in modern times that they'll seek and annihilate anything that's not their way. Muslims have a total disrespect for other peoples' lives and culture. It's not just some terrorists it's the religion and their prophet. Read some history and you'll see that in Islam from the very beginning everything is all about violence. From the prophet and his war to his successors and the Umaiyads...

BTW I am agnostic and I don't care about any religion I do see major problems in any Judaism based religions.

------------

True, people still do not see what is going on in indonesia and malaysia..They can live freely in europe but others can't in their country..

Status
Not open for further replies.