Barebone Laptop w/ Desktop CPU <400

DallasTX9

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
Hello!

Are there any Barebones Laptops that are compatible with a desktop CPU (Probably an i5). I want it to have a decent graphics card <150 and I am not going to overclock. And where would I get it. I like the ASUS C90 but it is expensive

Solution
There are a couple of things I'd like to offer as advice to the OP.
1| The CPU can be swapped out and changed but due to thermal constraints you'd need to look pretty hard and long to find a processor you'd be able to fit in your mobo. Even after you do find one, getting it a reasonable price is the other question
2| CPU's aren't sauntered nor are they Sautéed to the mobo :) back a few years ago they were soldered to the components but even that has changed. You have SO-DIMMS go in on the bottom for the laptop and most kits will get you upto 16GB in 2 sticks.
3| To drive this topic back on track:
Are there any Barebones Laptops that are compatible with a desktop CPU (Probably an i5). I want it to have a decent graphics card <150 and...

Deemo13

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
There's no way to put a desktop CPU into a laptop form. Laptop CPU's are designed for low heat output. Just look for a laptop with a discrete graphics card.

You also cannot put a regular graphics card into a laptop.

DallasTX9

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014

Then why are people selling some processors? And then why are they selling barebones laptops?

ICantPickParts

Honorable
May 24, 2013

I did some googling and saw that most barebone laptops are going to be basicly the the speakers, Battery(possibly not), It wont come with CPU, M/Board, H/Drive, RAM, Batt, Fan/Heat sink. On MOST laptops the CPU are sauntered on to the mobo. Same with the ram but it can change per laptop. Now a days they are sauteing most things to the mobo so that you can't upgrade it, you will have to buy what you want when you first get it.

But sometimes they might only be missing an HDD and RAM.

But back to barebone laptops, They are probably 90% worthless for all the money they you will have to spend and make sure that you have the right mobo and everything.it would be better to just go and buy the laptop new/used. You could get one to mess around with but it might end up being a pain and a waste of time.

Also there are some laptops like the Alienware m15x or m17x are able to change the CPU in but can end up costing a lot of $$$ i think they wanted $600 for 2.6 cpu and that was an upgrade from a 2.0, and you have to install it yourself.

jcagara08

Estimable
Apr 9, 2014

Yes there is, these bad noob guys always say no to people asking questions, do your research first before saying no
here it is; Sager NP9570 (Clevo P570WM)
http://

This is the solution.

Deemo13

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

That doesnt look like its less than $400. Make sure you read the whole post before you call us "noobs"

If a $1500 ASUS is too expensive for OP, then something more expensive is most likely also too expensive.

jcagara08

Estimable
Apr 9, 2014

yeah cause you guys right away ruled out a laptop that can and will be supporting desktop CPUs, ya'll need to do your research first before saying no to queries, otherwise price is a given an foolproof that OP will think about paying for it.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

This is true - there is no such thing, and no amount of research you can do will turn up a solution. That Sager / Clevo laptop that was posted earlier? Still a laptop processor. X79M is still designated with an M processor. That laptop will maybe get 5 minutes of battery life. :lol:

Deemo13

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Hey I'm just saying they designed laptop processors for a reason. Putting a desktop processor in a laptop usually isnt logical for portability...or heat...or battery life...or anything laptop-related.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Yeah I would think that would seriously kill the battery life wouldn't it?

Deemo13

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

It would probably be redundant to even put a battery.

jcagara08

Estimable
Apr 9, 2014
jcagara08 said:
yeah cause you guys right away ruled out a laptop that can and will be supporting desktop CPUs, ya'll need to do your research first before saying no to queries, otherwise price is a given an foolproof that OP will think about paying for it.

This is true - there is no such thing, and no amount of research you can do will turn up a solution. That Sager / Clevo laptop that was posted earlier? Still a laptop processor. X79M is still designated with an M processor. That laptop will maybe get 5 minutes of battery life. :lol:

Hello mr. moderator,

Well turns up that the highest configuration for that sager clevo barebone laptop is an
Intel Core i7-4960X
have a look here please;
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-Desktop-4960X-Notebook-Processor.104971.0.html
http://ark.intel.com/products/77779
And don't you know the term "desktop replacement" it means per se, battery is out of the topic when it comes to power hungry laptops, you need an outlet for that matter and one more link where you can choose a list of desktop and notebook CPUS;
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmarklist.2436.0.html
otherwise all you guys please stop saying NO to OPs question, only NO to his budget thats it
OP can have a look at this site for further reference;
http://rjtech.com/shop/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=220

there are A FEW versions of processors that can work in laptops. But they are extremely expensive and are the extremely high end ones that I personally think are redundant - but that's just me.
As for actually building a barebones yourself, I wouldn't do it personally, I don't know if you have to solder in the mobile GPU or not, but regardless it actually works out MORE expensive to buy the components yourself than to have a custom spec site like xotic pc or powernotebooks to build it for you.
I hope this clearly answers your question - it's not practical.

jcagara08

Estimable
Apr 9, 2014

Yes THIS is the ANSWER !!!^^^
IMPRACTICAL but Possible LOL
Try to google "eGPU 2.0 Experiences" and OP will be shocked!!

Deemo13

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

I believe that all of the above links work against you here. The first one proves that the i7-4960X is a desktop processor. It does say that it can be used in DTR notebooks, but they would have to be very very large and inconvenient.

The second link again proves that the i7-4960X is a desktop processor. if you look at the supported chipsets, it is the desktop X79 chipset. It does not prove that there are mobile platforms for the X79 chipset.

The third link again proves that the 4960X is a desktop processor. It is listed because the filter near the top says "show desktop and notebook CPU's" This proves that the 4960X exists and is the fastest. The quickest mobile version of i7 is the Haswell i7-4940MX if you change the filter.

The fourth link does prove that you can fit a desktop processor in a laptop form. The most expensive computer is able to fit a desktop processor. This is the only link of the 4 posted that is able to support your claim. As stated below, it would be very impractical to put a desktop processor in a laptop format. We were merely recommending against the idea of the desktop CPU in the laptop.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

You don't think I know what the term "desktop replacement" means? Oh I know what it means. That doesn't make it practical in any way, shape, or form. You can put a desktop processor in a laptop, doesn't make it practical. With laptops you trade power for portability, it's a simple fact. Either you get something that has a decent battery life or you don't. And you won't get it with that Sager / Clevo monstrosity. And if you're paying that much for a PC you should just get a desktop, there's no reason to buy a laptop with that kind of power. And the reason is because these laptops depreciate extremely quickly and when you go to sell it you won't get back 1/2 of what you paid for it, if even that. That's what I and everyone else in this thread means what we're saying that it's just not possible to have both. You can try and many have, but you'll learn that you can't have it both ways.

Lutfij

Splendid
There are a couple of things I'd like to offer as advice to the OP.
1| The CPU can be swapped out and changed but due to thermal constraints you'd need to look pretty hard and long to find a processor you'd be able to fit in your mobo. Even after you do find one, getting it a reasonable price is the other question
2| CPU's aren't sauntered nor are they Sautéed to the mobo :) back a few years ago they were soldered to the components but even that has changed. You have SO-DIMMS go in on the bottom for the laptop and most kits will get you upto 16GB in 2 sticks.
3| To drive this topic back on track:
Are there any Barebones Laptops that are compatible with a desktop CPU (Probably an i5). I want it to have a decent graphics card <150 and I am not going to overclock. And where would I get it. I like the ASUS C90 but it is expensive

As mentioned earlier, desktop grade parts don't belong in a laptop environment. Desktop grade CPU's have higher TDP(thermal design power) ratings while that on a laptop is much lower. In essence consider for the sake of our argument, more power equates to more heat output/dissipation. Given the confined quarters in a laptop the cooling solution on one is much inferior found to one on a desktop but the former is just barely sufficient for a laptop grade CPU.

Consider running a desktop tower cooler in your laptop, it'd have to protrude out the underside and wedge between your legs since you wouldn't be able to use the keyboard if it cam out from the top.... This would indeed be uncomfortable if under working conditions and secondly managing it on your desktop surface would be a nightmare.

Doo-able, maybe - is it worth all the headache? Absolutely not! Since we live in a time and age where time is money and lack of comprehension isn't worth any of that. You know who I'm talking about here OP :) and it isn't you :)

4| Is it possible for us to know what sort of an environment you'll be using the proposed purchase(if it were a laptop)? Considering you have hinted in looking for a more on-demand power users laptop?

Have you considered going down an SFF route? I recently built an AMD APU build where it was purpose built for use on Skethup 2014 and Photoshop CS 5.5 all situated inside a Mini itx motherboard and a mini case 240mm tall, 100mm wide and 140mm deep.

Sorry for such a long post but I think its imperative that we bring this thread with some constructive posts as my colleague(G-Unit1111) and Deemo13 has tried.

Hope this helps
;)

Solution