game junky

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Hey guys - I purchased a BD-R a couple of months back and wondering if anyone has had success ripping bluray video to an m4v file. Want to take my collection of blurays and be able to watch them on the go on an ipad.

I haven't selected an application yet because I wanted to see if others had been successful in making that transition. I don't care if I have to go from disk to an .mkv file or something similar and then convert that file to an .m4v. I would obviously prefer the quickest option that still produces high quality 1080p video.

Let me know what worked for you so I can save myself some expensive trial and error with different software applications

Majestic One

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
i have had a CRAPload of success using a program called DVDfab Platinum.
I think i am using version 8

here is a screenshot i made of the Blu-Ray ripping options:

dvdfabblueray.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Majestic One

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

yeah, i don't know too many free utilities that do what this does, but it is def worth hunting for on google.
i have been using DVDFab for over 4 years now.

The Stealthinator

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
I know of a program called VidCoder. It's free and it claims to be able to rip bluray video, but I have not tried it myself so I do not know how well it works. It is built on Handbrake. There is a 64bit version available.

vidcoder.codeplex.com

Majestic One

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

no i have never had any issues with DVDFab and having audio tracks be off sync.
like abekl said, what kind of hardware equipment are you using?
i found this over here:
http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=3495
I have found what the problem with the audio delay is...

The mt2s files are showing a frame rate of 23.976 per second. When you use the english audio tracks and the 23.976 frame rate the audio delay slowly grows as you get deeper into the file.

I did some conversion of these files using a separate app and selected 30fps instead of the 23.976 and the converted files have no delay. If I use the reported 23.976 as reported in the file, then the delay is there in the coverted file with the other app. The problem with converting to 30fps on the video is the video is a bit choppy due to the inserted additional video frames.

It appears the English audio is at 30 fps rate where the video is reported at 23.976.

hope this helps.

game junky

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
I tried a couple of different disks with similar results - I am going to upgrade my GPU, just waiting for the cash.

Here's my current rig:

CPU: AMD FX-8150
RAM: 16GB Corsair XMS 1333
GPU: ASUS 560

I haven't overclocked the proc because I need to install a better heatsink/cooler so it's stock on all accounts. Thing is a beast, not sure what the issue so I'll do some more tweaking.

Thanks for the feedback guys - once I get this down, I have alot of work to do. Currently have 350+ BDs :(

Need to pick a storage system for all that media. Thinking about a drobo pro, but javascript: validform(this);might just build an internal RAID5 setup since I have buckets of SATA ports

Majestic One

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

the stock heatsink LOOKS like the same one that comes with the x4 phenom II's with a smaller fan (i really couldn't say, maybe the heatsink is a little bigger, but i doubt it) it has 4 heat pipes and i am getting 3.7 on air and MANY get 3.8 on air (mine is buggy), and according to newegg feedback (search: clock) MANY are getting 4.1 out of them w/ Corsair liquid enclosed - some are getting 4.0 on air - DO YOUR RESEARCH before taking my advice; but i would say punch it up to 3.9 at LEAST. my buddy has a x4 975, and he is running it at 4.0 all day long just using stepping on stock air.
i am assuming you are claiming a GTX 560?
gaming cards are for playback of content, and worstation GPU's are for rendering. check out the FirePro v3900 for creation rendering. I just got my mom one for 3D rendering and it is KICK ass. AND it has WONDERFUL playback because of hardware acceleration of DirectX 11 & OpenGL 4.2's advanced features. i am NOT kidding, this thing renders creation content like a BEAST - AND it plays BF3, MW3, and Medal of Honor 2010 ALL on MAX settings. for $116, it SMOKES my GTS 450 for playback content!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814195112
I would say KEEP your 560, it is a WONDERFUL card (ESPECIALLY ASUS brand) and pick this v3900 up for your content creation needs. you will NOT be disappointed!

PEACE!!!