Best 7.1 True/Faux Surround Headset under $175 USD

LividRadiation

Estimable
Aug 13, 2014
I'm looking for a headset to play FPS and other games with that has either an inline controls on the side. I want best sound quality available. I dont care about a mic, if it has one it doesnt matter I already have one.

Solution
Both should be great for music.

As for soundcard, it's not necessary right now, but the headphones will work best with a decent amp/codec (USB or PCIe soundcard)
Ignore the claims about "7.1"/"surround" headsets and just learn to use the proper presets in your game for better positional audio. For ~$175, you can find a decent number of good headsets like the HD558, MDR-7506, and ATH-50X.

Games like Battlefield 4 and Battlefront (and practically anything on frostbyte) have binaural approximation built in for better than "7.1" audio position (in fact, using a "7.1" headset DECREASES the quality of positioning), and many others have similar features as well.

It's not "the same thing" as any other headphone, it's its own design. A pretty good design, but not the same. Each headphone will feel and sound a bit different, but both of those are good, much better than any razer or kingston product.