Best Blu-Ray playback software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Praedos

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
Ey.

So I've been leaching off trials now to watch Bluray flicks for a couple months, and given I've run into some $$, what is the best playback software [i.e- watching movies]

Granted the variety of software trials I've been milking, I've neglected the names of them, and thus forgotten their intergrity- of which that been said, does anyone carry any suggestions towards a solid playback program?

Preferably it carries a pricetag, as it assures [hopefully] quality.

I'm currently using PowerDVD, and it blows. Ex- Skipping around in the Fellowship of the Ring, or The Hobbit, where it essentially freezes, and pixelates like a mother fucker. Which is a shame, considering the convience of the UI.

But I digress.

Tl;dr- Best BluRay playback softare.

kthx.

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
I had no problems with playback in PowerDVD, though I had other aggravations with it. I've had installation errors after refreshing my PC, and didn't like the UI performance (though playback was fine for me). It took control of music CDs also, which I had to reset to avoid long delays after inserting a CD.

This issue of poor playback begs me to ask, what are your hardware specs?

The other (commercial) Blu-Ray software I'm aware of is Arcsoft Total Media Theater or Corel WinDVD (I don't have much direct experience with either)

At the moment my solution has been to rip movies to Hard Disk and play them from there in Media Player Classic (freeware)

Praedos

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

Thanks for the response. My specs are a GTX660ti 3gb SC'd, an i5 3570k jumping between 3.4-3.8ghz, 8GB Ram, and my drive.
And I'm using 2 monitors, a Vizio 37" TV, and a Asus 24" 144z, 3d, both @ 1080.

Prior to PowerDVD I was using some other program, Ultra something, and I ran the Big Lebowski with no problems whatsoever, (if you went afk for longer than 5-10mins it would no longer recognize the media), which leads me to believe that specs are irellevant, or it might be my drive is shit.

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Well your CPU and graphics are more than qualified to play back HD media. Assuming the disks are in good condition (The Hobbit is a recent release so I'd imagine there's not much wear to it yet) you might take a closer look at that Blu-ray drive. I have a somewhat lesser GPU and have no issues with playback, either with my rips or when I used PowerDVD (though that program still managed to find other ways to annoy me)

Praedos

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

My initial thoughts were the quality of the disks. So I ran The Fellowship, Two Towers, [sticking with a Tolkien theme here], of which both had bleh playback (The Fellowship jumped foward at times, and the Two Towers had framerate issues at some points).

So I plopped in The Hobbit, which is from Netflix mind you, and it was the worst of all.

So I'm hoping its the software i'm using, (as I had no issues with the previous program I used), however it could be the drive too, which is highly unlikely, considering its rather new condition.

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
mauller07:

How do you use VLC with the lib-bluray plugin? I've found the library, but the only information I can find on it seems to be instructions for compiling VLC with it. I was hoping to just "add" it as an extension, but there doesn't seem to be any option in VLC for that.

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
I know. I've got AnyDVD for decrypting. It would just be nice to have a free player that can play an ISO of the blu-ray. But it seems like libbluray is only useful if you're going to compile and build the application yourself.

Actually, the only time I would use it is for those blu-rays that have the main movie split up into two dozen small files -- trying to figure out their order is a pain. Most blu-rays have the main movie in one large file, which, after decryption, can be remuxed with TSMuxer and then re-encoded with HandBrake for a nice, small, H.264 file.

Status
Not open for further replies.