Best Buy Service Plan for Samsung DLP HDTV - Advice needed

Jim

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
730
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Hi, we purchased a Samsung 61" DLP HDTV almost a month ago and we are
still debating the purchase of the Best Buy Service Plan. We have
some concerns, however:

1) Our TV was purchased on sale for approx. $3800-3900, the service
plan price quoted was $400 for 4 years. This seems high to me. Is
it?

2) Is Best Buy reliable with their service? ie. Will they do what
they say? We are interested in knowing if anyone has had any
experience with actually trying to get things fixed.

3) We felt the sales manager was exaggerating with his stories of all
that could go wrong, even in the first year, with these TV's. He had
horror stories of possible $1500 repairs and such. At the minimum he
suggested that the bulb would need to be replaced at least every 2
years, which at $200/bulb would recoup the cost of the service plan.
I question this. With a 6000 hour bulb life, say we watch a maximum
of 5 hours/day on average, that gives us 1200 days which is over 3
years.

4) We are not even sure the service plan WILL cover the bulb as the
sales manager claims. It does not specifically mention the bulb. It
does offer "complete coverage if your product fails due to normal wear
and tear/usage", BUT it also says "not covered are replacement costs
for lost or consumable parts (knobs, remotes, batteries, bags, belts,
etc.)" We are afraid they could argue that a bulb is a "consumable
part".

We are not naive enough to think that just because the sales manager
says something is covered, that it is. I have read the performance
plan brochure carefully, and unfortunately, it is written for a
variety of products and not specifically for an HDTV.

So, should we or shouldn't we? $400 is a lot of money and we don't
want to throw it away. Thanks!
 

curmudgeon

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
262
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

There is nothing to argue about. A bulb IS a consumable and not covered by
any warranty.

But also understand that BB will NOT provide service to any device that is
out of warranty...even when you bought it at their store!
Do you have a good service source in your area BESIDES BB?




"Jim" <jra@ncrb.org> wrote in message
news:fe23f062.0409300857.43bf1aee@posting.google.com...
> Hi, we purchased a Samsung 61" DLP HDTV almost a month ago and we are
> still debating the purchase of the Best Buy Service Plan. We have
> some concerns, however:
>
> 1) Our TV was purchased on sale for approx. $3800-3900, the service
> plan price quoted was $400 for 4 years. This seems high to me. Is
> it?
>
> 2) Is Best Buy reliable with their service? ie. Will they do what
> they say? We are interested in knowing if anyone has had any
> experience with actually trying to get things fixed.
>
> 3) We felt the sales manager was exaggerating with his stories of all
> that could go wrong, even in the first year, with these TV's. He had
> horror stories of possible $1500 repairs and such. At the minimum he
> suggested that the bulb would need to be replaced at least every 2
> years, which at $200/bulb would recoup the cost of the service plan.
> I question this. With a 6000 hour bulb life, say we watch a maximum
> of 5 hours/day on average, that gives us 1200 days which is over 3
> years.
>
> 4) We are not even sure the service plan WILL cover the bulb as the
> sales manager claims. It does not specifically mention the bulb. It
> does offer "complete coverage if your product fails due to normal wear
> and tear/usage", BUT it also says "not covered are replacement costs
> for lost or consumable parts (knobs, remotes, batteries, bags, belts,
> etc.)" We are afraid they could argue that a bulb is a "consumable
> part".
>
> We are not naive enough to think that just because the sales manager
> says something is covered, that it is. I have read the performance
> plan brochure carefully, and unfortunately, it is written for a
> variety of products and not specifically for an HDTV.
>
> So, should we or shouldn't we? $400 is a lot of money and we don't
> want to throw it away. Thanks!
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

When did they start that policy? A few years ago, I took a JVC SVHS I
bought at Circuit City to BB for service, and they fixed it no questions
asked.

"curmudgeon" <curmudgeon@buzzoff.net> wrote in message
news:p__6d.6021$yp.4092@bignews1.bellsouth.net...
> But also understand that BB will NOT provide service to any device that is
> out of warranty...even when you bought it at their store!
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"curmudgeon" <curmudgeon@buzzoff.net> wrote in message
news:p__6d.6021$yp.4092@bignews1.bellsouth.net...
> There is nothing to argue about. A bulb IS a consumable and not covered
> by
> any warranty.
>

Actually depending on the manufacturer, the bulb is covered up to 1 year. 90
days for Sony and Hitachi. 1 year by Mitsubishi. (Please correct me if I'm
wrong anyone)
Also where I work, the largest independently owned department store in the
US (located in NE US), we cover the bulb under our service plan. Plus we
provide yearly maintenance service.

Scott
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

The bulb will not be covered. Rest assured that Service Plans bring in
more profit to the retailer than any other item that they sell. That
alone should tell you that it is in their interest, not yours.

The Samsung has four components inside it - the power supply, the analog
board, the digital board, and the light engine. The first three cost
about $200 each to replace. The last costs about $1500. If you lose
the Light Engine during year 1, the warranty will cover it. Samsung
provides in-home service under warranty (1-800-Samsung), no need to
involve Best Buy in the process. They'll replace the light engine even
if it's just noisy, or if it has a single bad pixel.

If you lose the Light Engine during years 2, 3, or 4, then the Service
Plan will have been a good purchase. However, the probability of the
Light Engine working for a full year, and then failing within the next
three, is very, very small.

Jim wrote:
> Hi, we purchased a Samsung 61" DLP HDTV almost a month ago and we are
> still debating the purchase of the Best Buy Service Plan. We have
> some concerns, however:
>
> 1) Our TV was purchased on sale for approx. $3800-3900, the service
> plan price quoted was $400 for 4 years. This seems high to me. Is
> it?
>
> 2) Is Best Buy reliable with their service? ie. Will they do what
> they say? We are interested in knowing if anyone has had any
> experience with actually trying to get things fixed.
>
> 3) We felt the sales manager was exaggerating with his stories of all
> that could go wrong, even in the first year, with these TV's. He had
> horror stories of possible $1500 repairs and such. At the minimum he
> suggested that the bulb would need to be replaced at least every 2
> years, which at $200/bulb would recoup the cost of the service plan.
> I question this. With a 6000 hour bulb life, say we watch a maximum
> of 5 hours/day on average, that gives us 1200 days which is over 3
> years.
>
> 4) We are not even sure the service plan WILL cover the bulb as the
> sales manager claims. It does not specifically mention the bulb. It
> does offer "complete coverage if your product fails due to normal wear
> and tear/usage", BUT it also says "not covered are replacement costs
> for lost or consumable parts (knobs, remotes, batteries, bags, belts,
> etc.)" We are afraid they could argue that a bulb is a "consumable
> part".
>
> We are not naive enough to think that just because the sales manager
> says something is covered, that it is. I have read the performance
> plan brochure carefully, and unfortunately, it is written for a
> variety of products and not specifically for an HDTV.
>
> So, should we or shouldn't we? $400 is a lot of money and we don't
> want to throw it away. Thanks!
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

We purchased a Samsung 50" on the pedestal, considered 2nd generation DLP.
Love it!!! I usually do not purchase service plans, except on expensive
items like the Samsung. Best Buy has been slammed about their service
policies and is know on the up and up. Too much media exposure last time.
They are worried about class action law litigation. Good Luck, Alan

--
This Message is certified Virus free by Norton AntiVirus 2004
"Jim" <jra@ncrb.org> wrote in message
news:fe23f062.0409300857.43bf1aee@posting.google.com...
> Hi, we purchased a Samsung 61" DLP HDTV almost a month ago and we are
> still debating the purchase of the Best Buy Service Plan. We have
> some concerns, however:
>
> 1) Our TV was purchased on sale for approx. $3800-3900, the service
> plan price quoted was $400 for 4 years. This seems high to me. Is
> it?
>
> 2) Is Best Buy reliable with their service? ie. Will they do what
> they say? We are interested in knowing if anyone has had any
> experience with actually trying to get things fixed.
>
> 3) We felt the sales manager was exaggerating with his stories of all
> that could go wrong, even in the first year, with these TV's. He had
> horror stories of possible $1500 repairs and such. At the minimum he
> suggested that the bulb would need to be replaced at least every 2
> years, which at $200/bulb would recoup the cost of the service plan.
> I question this. With a 6000 hour bulb life, say we watch a maximum
> of 5 hours/day on average, that gives us 1200 days which is over 3
> years.
>
> 4) We are not even sure the service plan WILL cover the bulb as the
> sales manager claims. It does not specifically mention the bulb. It
> does offer "complete coverage if your product fails due to normal wear
> and tear/usage", BUT it also says "not covered are replacement costs
> for lost or consumable parts (knobs, remotes, batteries, bags, belts,
> etc.)" We are afraid they could argue that a bulb is a "consumable
> part".
>
> We are not naive enough to think that just because the sales manager
> says something is covered, that it is. I have read the performance
> plan brochure carefully, and unfortunately, it is written for a
> variety of products and not specifically for an HDTV.
>
> So, should we or shouldn't we? $400 is a lot of money and we don't
> want to throw it away. Thanks!
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On 30 Sep 2004 16:54:29 -0700, jeremy@pdq.net (JDeats) wrote:

>DO NOT PAY BEST BUY MONEY FOR AN EXTENDED WARRENTY. Ever! Espeically
>not on a HDTV, something like this you'll want only an authorized
>service tech to touch your set should something go wrong.

Best Buy does not have service techs. Factory authorized (I would
assume) subcontractors perform warranty work on the electronic items
they sell.
 

Badger

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2002
90
0
18,580
0
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I don't believe THEY service anything. They contract it out. Their
service policies didn't used to be theirs either, meaning that they
sold a policy serviced by another company. I don't know if that's
still true.

Clay
"Jeff Henkels" <jeff@mapson.privatemail.com> wrote in message
news:ttydnYI2CY77H8HcRVn-vQ@speakeasy.net...
> When did they start that policy? A few years ago, I took a JVC SVHS
I
> bought at Circuit City to BB for service, and they fixed it no
questions
> asked.
>
> "curmudgeon" <curmudgeon@buzzoff.net> wrote in message
> news:p__6d.6021$yp.4092@bignews1.bellsouth.net...
> > But also understand that BB will NOT provide service to any device
that is
> > out of warranty...even when you bought it at their store!
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

True. Best Buy sells warranties administered by NEW, National
Electronics Warranty Corporation. Not knowing how they work for HDTV,
but I can speak for my experience. My wife handles claims for DirecTV
for them. Claims are scheduled with factory authorized contractors who
install, set up, and provide warranty service. The contractor that came
out to service our multi-satellite receiver knew his job and was
finished promptly. We would have received the same treatment even if my
wife didn't work for NEW, as she has to play the bad guy and send a tech
out if there are still problems with a subscriber's equipment after they
closed the job. And the tech gets paid by the job, not by the clock.

HDTV-slingr wrote:

> On 30 Sep 2004 16:54:29 -0700, jeremy@pdq.net (JDeats) wrote:
>
>
>>DO NOT PAY BEST BUY MONEY FOR AN EXTENDED WARRENTY. Ever! Espeically
>>not on a HDTV, something like this you'll want only an authorized
>>service tech to touch your set should something go wrong.
>
>
> Best Buy does not have service techs. Factory authorized (I would
> assume) subcontractors perform warranty work on the electronic items
> they sell.
>
>
 

Jim

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
730
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Thanks for everyone's advice. I think we have decided against the
Best Buy Service Plan. We were wondering, however, if Samsung offers
an extended warranty towards to the end of the year as the original
manufacturer's warranty expires.

We have purchased items in the past where we have received information
in the mail about extending the manufacturer's warranty, so we wonder
if that will be the case for this TV.

jra@ncrb.org (Jim) wrote in message news:<fe23f062.0409300857.43bf1aee@posting.google.com>...
> Hi, we purchased a Samsung 61" DLP HDTV almost a month ago and we are
> still debating the purchase of the Best Buy Service Plan. We have
> some concerns, however:
>
> 1) Our TV was purchased on sale for approx. $3800-3900, the service
> plan price quoted was $400 for 4 years. This seems high to me. Is
> it?
>
> 2) Is Best Buy reliable with their service? ie. Will they do what
> they say? We are interested in knowing if anyone has had any
> experience with actually trying to get things fixed.
>
> 3) We felt the sales manager was exaggerating with his stories of all
> that could go wrong, even in the first year, with these TV's. He had
> horror stories of possible $1500 repairs and such. At the minimum he
> suggested that the bulb would need to be replaced at least every 2
> years, which at $200/bulb would recoup the cost of the service plan.
> I question this. With a 6000 hour bulb life, say we watch a maximum
> of 5 hours/day on average, that gives us 1200 days which is over 3
> years.
>
> 4) We are not even sure the service plan WILL cover the bulb as the
> sales manager claims. It does not specifically mention the bulb. It
> does offer "complete coverage if your product fails due to normal wear
> and tear/usage", BUT it also says "not covered are replacement costs
> for lost or consumable parts (knobs, remotes, batteries, bags, belts,
> etc.)" We are afraid they could argue that a bulb is a "consumable
> part".
>
> We are not naive enough to think that just because the sales manager
> says something is covered, that it is. I have read the performance
> plan brochure carefully, and unfortunately, it is written for a
> variety of products and not specifically for an HDTV.
>
> So, should we or shouldn't we? $400 is a lot of money and we don't
> want to throw it away. Thanks!
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Jim Gilliland" <usemylastname@cheerful.com> wrote in message
news:EL-dnXJlR-s4AsHcRVn-pg@adelphia.com...
> The bulb will not be covered. Rest assured that Service Plans bring in
> more profit to the retailer than any other item that they sell. That
> alone should tell you that it is in their interest, not yours.
>
> The Samsung has four components inside it - the power supply, the analog
> board, the digital board, and the light engine. The first three cost
> about $200 each to replace. The last costs about $1500. If you lose
> the Light Engine during year 1, the warranty will cover it. Samsung
> provides in-home service under warranty (1-800-Samsung), no need to
> involve Best Buy in the process. They'll replace the light engine even
> if it's just noisy, or if it has a single bad pixel.
>
> If you lose the Light Engine during years 2, 3, or 4, then the Service
> Plan will have been a good purchase. However, the probability of the
> Light Engine working for a full year, and then failing within the next
> three, is very, very small.

Does the $200 for the boards other than the light engine include labor and a
service call? Is that dealer cost or retail? Are you sure that there are
not other parts that can fail that are not part of those assemblies? I have
heard this claim about the cost of repairing the Samsungs before and asked
these questions, but never get an answer... What happens if a fan, safety
switch, or temperature sensor goes bad (most LCD and DLP sets have several
of each and they have been some of the most common failures in most)? Do
you have to replace a $200 board to replace a $14 fan?

Bottom line is that replacing a power supply, analog board, or digital board
will likely cost more like $400 on average and from what I hear from the
guys servicing Samsungs, replacing light engines is much more likely than,
for instance, replacing a CRT.

Leonard
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Leonard Caillouet wrote:
>
> Does the $200 for the boards other than the light engine include labor and a
> service call? Is that dealer cost or retail? Are you sure that there are
> not other parts that can fail that are not part of those assemblies? I have
> heard this claim about the cost of repairing the Samsungs before and asked
> these questions, but never get an answer... What happens if a fan, safety
> switch, or temperature sensor goes bad (most LCD and DLP sets have several
> of each and they have been some of the most common failures in most)? Do
> you have to replace a $200 board to replace a $14 fan?
>
> Bottom line is that replacing a power supply, analog board, or digital board
> will likely cost more like $400 on average and from what I hear from the
> guys servicing Samsungs, replacing light engines is much more likely than,
> for instance, replacing a CRT.

Certainly there are other minor components, some of which may (rarely)
fail. Certainly service companies charge for their labor, making a
total repair bill higher than the cost of the parts. My information was
simply intended to put things into perspective. It is possible that a
service plan will pay for itself, just unlikely. If you can't afford
the repair, then buy the insurance.

But before you buy the service plan, consider whether you may be able to
be "self insured". That means you save the cost of the service
contract, but take the risk of paying for the repair yourself. On
average, you'll be far, far ahead if you can absorb that risk. A very
few owners will find that they do, in fact, wind up with an expensive
repair. The rest will come out way ahead.

There is no dispute about this: Service Plans are a HUGE profit center
for the retailers that sell them and for the insurers who hold the
policies. That huge profit comes from the difference between what you
pay for the service plan and what they have to pay out to make repairs.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Jim Gilliland" <usemylastname@cheerful.com> wrote in message
news:bbednXMDGqvw3sDcRVn-iA@adelphia.com...
> Leonard Caillouet wrote:
> >
> > Does the $200 for the boards other than the light engine include labor
and a
> > service call? Is that dealer cost or retail? Are you sure that there
are
> > not other parts that can fail that are not part of those assemblies? I
have
> > heard this claim about the cost of repairing the Samsungs before and
asked
> > these questions, but never get an answer... What happens if a fan,
safety
> > switch, or temperature sensor goes bad (most LCD and DLP sets have
several
> > of each and they have been some of the most common failures in most)?
Do
> > you have to replace a $200 board to replace a $14 fan?
> >
> > Bottom line is that replacing a power supply, analog board, or digital
board
> > will likely cost more like $400 on average and from what I hear from the
> > guys servicing Samsungs, replacing light engines is much more likely
than,
> > for instance, replacing a CRT.
>
> Certainly there are other minor components, some of which may (rarely)
> fail. Certainly service companies charge for their labor, making a
> total repair bill higher than the cost of the parts. My information was
> simply intended to put things into perspective. It is possible that a
> service plan will pay for itself, just unlikely. If you can't afford
> the repair, then buy the insurance.
>
> But before you buy the service plan, consider whether you may be able to
> be "self insured". That means you save the cost of the service
> contract, but take the risk of paying for the repair yourself. On
> average, you'll be far, far ahead if you can absorb that risk. A very
> few owners will find that they do, in fact, wind up with an expensive
> repair. The rest will come out way ahead.
>
> There is no dispute about this: Service Plans are a HUGE profit center
> for the retailers that sell them and for the insurers who hold the
> policies. That huge profit comes from the difference between what you
> pay for the service plan and what they have to pay out to make repairs.

I was not disputing this at all. In fact, I have stated many times that
extended warranties are usually NOT a good value. It is importance to
understand what the actual cost of repairs are likely to be. What I was
pointing out was that you seem to be estimating on the very optimistic side
of things...not a useful perspective, but a biased one that is stacked
against the decision to purchase the warranty. I think it is more important
to get real info. I asked some questions and still have not received
answers. Has anyone actually priced these repairs with a Samsung ASC to see
what they would actually charge out of warranty?

In the case of newer, expensive products that are likely to be serviced
primarily by board swapping, it is possible that extended warranties may be
worth considering. You have to do your homework and consider the details of
the particular product and warranty before coming to this conclusion.

Leonard
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:06:59 -0400, Jim Gilliland wrote:

> The bulb will not be covered. Rest assured that Service Plans bring in
> more profit to the retailer than any other item that they sell. That
> alone should tell you that it is in their interest, not yours.

What makes you say that the bulb isn't covered? When I bought a 50" Sony
LCD projection TV from Best Buy they said the bulb was covered.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 23:34:39 GMT, "Badger"
<cferriola@1removenumbers2triad.3rr.4com> wrote:

>I don't believe THEY service anything. They contract it out. Their
>service policies didn't used to be theirs either, meaning that they
>sold a policy serviced by another company. I don't know if that's
>still true.

That's still true. Sears is the ONLY major retailer that performs
it's own warranty work. Sears employees wearing Sears uniforms,
trained by the individual manufacturers, driving Sears vans turn the
screwdrivers on all of the televisions they sell... when it comes to
selling & servicing appliances and electronics, Sears is a HUGE "mom &
pop" in that sense.
 

Rich

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
325
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"General Schvantzkoph" <schvantzkoph@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:pan.2004.10.01.12.19.38.873814@yahoo.com...
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:06:59 -0400, Jim Gilliland wrote:
>
>> The bulb will not be covered. Rest assured that Service Plans bring in
>> more profit to the retailer than any other item that they sell. That
>> alone should tell you that it is in their interest, not yours.
>
> What makes you say that the bulb isn't covered? When I bought a 50" Sony
> LCD projection TV from Best Buy they said the bulb was covered.

They lied to you. Sorry, but that's the truth. It's a consumable item,
like tires on a car. Call the number on the plan and ask, they'll tell you.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:06:59 -0400, Jim Gilliland wrote:
>
>>The bulb will not be covered. Rest assured that Service Plans bring in
>>more profit to the retailer than any other item that they sell. That
>>alone should tell you that it is in their interest, not yours.
>
> What makes you say that the bulb isn't covered? When I bought a 50" Sony
> LCD projection TV from Best Buy they said the bulb was covered.

They'll "say" all sorts of things. Read the contract. It says
consumables are not covered.
 

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
277
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"curmudgeon" <curmudgeon@buzzoff.net> wrote in message news:<p__6d.6021$yp.4092@bignews1.bellsouth.net>...
> There is nothing to argue about. A bulb IS a consumable and not covered by
> any warranty.

I totally agree that most extended warranties are much more favorable
to the retailer than the customer, and in general I won't buy them.
However, in fairness to Best Buy, I *did* buy a 3-yr warranty with my
new Canon S400 digital still camera for two reasons: a) it *does*
cover both the original and the additional rechargeable battery I
purchased - both of which are clearly "consumables"; and b) I was told
the warranty would even cover damage if the camera accidentally fell
in the lake. Since I'll clearly have to replace both batteries within
3 years, it seemed like a no-brainer.

So - about 14 months later, the camera was dropped on concrete. The
lens tube was out at the time, and was bent at a 30-degree angle.
Obviously, the camera was trashed. I took it into Best Buy and showed
it to them. The tech took one look, said it was not repairable and
that they no longer carried the S400 model. So I was given full
credit for my original $500 cost and told to go pick out a
replacement. I walked out with a new 5-megapixel S500, which had
replaced the S400 for the same $500 cost. The whole transaction took
less than 15 minutes.

I'm still not a big believer in warranties, but this time was sure
glad I had it. You have to read the fine print re. consumables - some
cover these; most don't.

Rob
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Regarding this bulb/warranty issue, a salesman at Ultimate Electronics told
me that they used to sell two versions of their extended service (3 years)
plan for HDTV's, bulb-included & bulb not-included at a lower price. But
now, he said, they only have one plan, bulb-included, 3 years, $300. Can't
vouch for his accuracy. Salesmen are known to be wrong, and worse.

I would probably not buy an extended warranty, anyway. But to my way of
thinking, a non-bulb, lower-cost, extended warranty would be preferable. I
would rather buy a spare lamp and keep it in my closet in case the original
goes out since I can replace it, following the manual instructions, in a few
minutes. Why wait for a service tech to show up to do what I can do myself?

mack
austin


"Jim Gilliland" <usemylastname@cheerful.com> wrote in message
news:BJqdndUypPmpwcDcRVn-jw@adelphia.com...
> General Schvantzkoph wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:06:59 -0400, Jim Gilliland wrote:
> >
> >>The bulb will not be covered. Rest assured that Service Plans bring in
> >>more profit to the retailer than any other item that they sell. That
> >>alone should tell you that it is in their interest, not yours.
> >
> > What makes you say that the bulb isn't covered? When I bought a 50" Sony
> > LCD projection TV from Best Buy they said the bulb was covered.
>
> They'll "say" all sorts of things. Read the contract. It says
> consumables are not covered.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 09:31:29 -0400, Jim Gilliland wrote:

> General Schvantzkoph wrote:
>> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:06:59 -0400, Jim Gilliland wrote:
>>
>>>The bulb will not be covered. Rest assured that Service Plans bring in
>>>more profit to the retailer than any other item that they sell. That
>>>alone should tell you that it is in their interest, not yours.
>>
>> What makes you say that the bulb isn't covered? When I bought a 50" Sony
>> LCD projection TV from Best Buy they said the bulb was covered.
>
> They'll "say" all sorts of things. Read the contract. It says
> consumables are not covered.

It doesn't say if a light bulb is a consumable the only thing specifically
mentioned is batteries. BB is making this representation to everyone,
several different salesmen said it to me and someone said it to the OP,
presumably in another part of the country. BB is inviting a lawsuit if
they don't honor these service contracts.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Streaming Video & TVs 1
W Streaming Video & TVs 3
K Streaming Video & TVs 0
raja83kumar Streaming Video & TVs 0
cgsuresh Streaming Video & TVs 3
lynad10 Streaming Video & TVs 1
L Streaming Video & TVs 1
J Streaming Video & TVs 6
S Streaming Video & TVs 1
M Streaming Video & TVs 2
S Streaming Video & TVs 3
P Streaming Video & TVs 1
Y Streaming Video & TVs 4
J Streaming Video & TVs 1
G Streaming Video & TVs 9
JMcEntegart Streaming Video & TVs 4
exfileme Streaming Video & TVs 5
JMcEntegart Streaming Video & TVs 8
M Streaming Video & TVs 1
M Streaming Video & TVs 5
Similar threads
Question +bundles or a broad streaming service like AT&T or Hulu?
Question One Streaming Service / Two Locations?
Question Streaming Services with Live Network Shows in 5.1 Sound?
Question "error "TVapi-service has stopped" and my tv restart
Question I have a Haier smart LED TV. Often while starting I see the message "Invalid Service" "tvapi-setvice has stopped close the app" and the TV reboots. Qu
Question Cyberflix/Dream TV and every streaming service buffering
is it possible to stream videos from sony xperia c4 phone to westinghouse tv via the usb service port
Solved! Amazon video stopped working on Samsung
Solved! SEIKI TV adding a streaming service
Solved! I have lg smartphone, also samsung smart tv with DISH Hopper but no in home internet. Can i use more Dish services like on dem
i have samsung mu7000 uhd 4k tv which doesnt have built in bluetooth,is ther any tricks to enable BT from service menu?if so t
went into service menu on samsung un65j6300 screwed it up and now when i tryed service mode mute 182 just get fetching data
How to access service menu with small remote samsung
my picture has gone on my samsung tv . unable to turn chanels and tv is stuck on the services chanel, help !
Samsung Reveals its Cloud-based Gaming Service
Samsung Launches Customer Service App for Android
Samsung Now the Proud Owner of mSpot Music Service
Samsung's Explore 3D Service Hits the U.S.
Solved! HOW TO ENTER IN SERVICE MODE THE SAMSUNG HTL5075S without the remote control
Solved! Where can I find a service manual for a Samsung HCM4216W television?

ASK THE COMMUNITY