Best camera/camcorder for both pictures and video

planesguy2004

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
Hi. I recently broke my point and shoot camera, and I’ve been in the market for a new camcorder, so I’m wondering is there is anything in the middle. Something that would be good for both taking pictures and video. My budget is around $200. I know I’m not going to get something amazing with that, but I can’t really spend much more. I just need something reliable. I’m mostly looking to take videos, so I’m not sure if the 30minute cap for camera will work.
Here is what I’m looking for:

• Mic in (for video)
    1080p video (720p minimum)
    Min. 12 megapixel camera
    HDMI out
    Display

If anyone could help, that would be appreciated. Thanks!

Solution

Not for video, The GH series from panasonic are way in front unless you want to spend goofy amounts of money on a full-frame.

bjornl

Estimable
If you opt for a digital camera, the max is 29.5 minutes per take. Meaning if you opt for a 60 minute video you have to re-start it in the middle. The only models which allow you to get around this are the Panasonic GH series. A used GH1 is around 175 without the lens on amazon. You might find a better deal on Ebay or craigslist. There is no camcorder that can match this for still images due to the larger m4/3 sensor.

Alternately just find the camcorder with the largest sensor you can afford. There are several with 1" sensor which should do well in both video and images.

planesguy2004

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016

Thanks!! I don’t know a whole lot about cameras, would you be able to suggest a few camcorders with large sensors?

bjornl

Estimable

Try this search engine:
https://camcorder-test.slashcam.com/compare.html
It will allow you to select sensor size as a search criteria.
Then you check your local sources for used models for sale or local sales.
Here near Seattle, that would be check Amazon, Craigslist, Ebay, KEH, B&H, best buy, the local walmart. All have great cameras from 1-2 years ago that are still very good but are no longer the newest thing. Still as good as the day they were.

planesguy2004

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016

So I found a used Panasonic Lumix dmc gh1, do you know for certain that it doesn’t have a recording limit?
Thanks again

bjornl

Estimable

yes. I have used one. I opted for the gh3 which is very similar. Does the gh1 include a lens?

planesguy2004

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016

I'm trying to find that out now. The condition is used, and looks pretty good. What would be a good shutter count?

bjornl

Estimable

Ideally less than 25,000. The gh1 shutter is rated at 50-70k. It is not uncommon for them to hit 100k. But due to their age and value it no longer makes sense to replace the shutter because in most cases it would cost about the same to replace the camera.

planesguy2004

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016

They dont know the exact shutter count. They just ssid they didnt use it much. I dont know hoe much that helps...Also, how much would it cost for a lens? I have to buy it separately, and I can't afford to spend too much on it. Do I even need one?

Thanks again :)

bjornl

Estimable
Ask for a JPG from it and you can upload that to a number of sites which will read the EXIF header and tell you the shutter count.

Without a lens you can't take a photo. Is the seller not including the one that came with the camera?

planesguy2004

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016

I already asked, he says he doesn't have the adapter to send a picture..I'm guessing he doesn't have an SD Card slot either..

You know what, I'll just post the link.. here it is :

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292402094772

Should I look for something different?

bjornl

Estimable

Not for video, The GH series from panasonic are way in front unless you want to spend goofy amounts of money on a full-frame.

Solution