Best Free Antivirus Software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcup

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013
Hello, I have the free version of MalwareBytes installed and My free Norton that comes with my Comcast subscription but a friend is getting a PC soon and he is a Dish head (no offense to dish heads) so he doesn't get Norton so I am looking for the best free antivirus software for him because he doesn't want to spend money on it. Any ideas?

Solution
AVG free antivirus (free.avg.com)
It includes antispyware and antivirus. Its detection level is good. It also provides link scanner which doesn't work and is of no use. Its resident shield works good.

Dburnsx

Estimable
Mar 10, 2014
Normally I would just suggest MalwareBytes (my first choice) but your already ahead of me on that...

Options would be:
-AVG
-Avira

And there may also be a free version of McAfee out there (not 100% sure on that one though)

BPTMatthew

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
I tend to use Microsoft Security Essentials. It does the job and the updates come through windows update, so it's pretty idiot proof. It's also fairly resource light and can actually be uninstalled when you want it to be (unlike Norton).

Damn_Rookie

Estimable
Feb 21, 2014
For the past two years I've used MSE and a good dose of common sense (with the ocassional scan with malwarebytes when I'm suspicious of something/feeling paranoid). No problems so far *knocks wood*.

sginteractive

Estimable
Oct 14, 2014
AVG free antivirus (free.avg.com)
It includes antispyware and antivirus. Its detection level is good. It also provides link scanner which doesn't work and is of no use. Its resident shield works good.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.