Best headphones for a gaming / music setup?

nguyenantho123

Estimable
Nov 9, 2014
Hi, I was just curious to find a good pair of headphones that I can use for some medium / light gaming as well as for listening to music.

I have browsed around at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, as well as the Sennheiser HD 598SE's.
I don't mind any amount of bass, but I have no idea how to make my decision. I listen to majorily EDM and indie music, if that helps.

Solution

The 558s are great headphones but I don't think they quite match up the AD 700x. A good part of that is going to come down to whether or not you like Sennheiser's classic "warm" sound compared to audio technica's V-like frequency response. The other part is that the AD 700x just have more detail in the sound they produce.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
The ATH-50x are really only good for listening to music. You won't be able to properly place sounds in a game with them.

The HD 598 are pretty good for gaming and music but remember these are open headphones. This means that people around you can hear what you are doing and you can hear them.

I'd like to trow in a 3rd recommendation around the same price as the other two. The ATH-A900x. They are closed so you cannot hear what's around you and they have a good sound stage for gaming. In addition they are very good with music although that aren't bass heavy.

nguyenantho123

Estimable
Nov 9, 2014

Would you recommend the 598's or the A900x's? Both of them look appealing, but I'm not quite sure which route to go. People say the 598's are much comfier, but have less bass so.

nguyenantho123

Estimable
Nov 9, 2014

External audio isn't really a problem. It's just the fact of comfort, sound quality, and how they could work with some games really for me.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

If you don't have an expensive sound card go with the A900x. They are easy to drive and sound good with cheap onboard / sound cards.

If you live in an environment that's quite and have a good sound card go for the 598s.

38 ohm in the 900x is not much different than the 50 ohm of the 598. Most computers can drive 150ohm without issue, so both will be perfectly find even without a higher power soundcard

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

Maybe your shooting from something you read on the internet but what I was stating was from experience. I have a high end ASROCK x99 motherboard, the latest intel high end platform for Prosumers. The motherboard comes with very good onboard sound that's isolated from the rest of the PCB. It could just barely drive 38 Ohm headphones to an acceptable levels.

If the sound on Intel's most expensive platform isn't enough to drive a 38 Ohms that you'll be even more hard pressed to convince me that onboard can drive 50 Ohms. Even if let's say there is a motherboard out there that can output more power there's nearly a 100% chance he doesn't have that motherboard. No point in taking useless risks.

Open back headphones like the ATH-AD500X and HD 518 (and their families) will work well for you then.

You should RMA your board, RMA the headphone, or have your ears checked, because one of them is likely broken (in that order, hearing problems are unlikely). 50 ohm should be driven by pretty much any motherboard out there, even non-gaming ones. Hell, even cellphones can drive 50ohm, though it's nowhere near as good as with PC audio and some devices may have problems. It's really only over 150ohm that you need to be very careful about the motherboard. I have 51 ohm headphones and the onboard audio for four of my computers have no problems driving them.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

I know nothing is wrong with any of them because I have two computers with two different motherboards and an Odac + 02.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/745231/amp-dac-for-sennheiser-hd598

The recommendation on Head-Fi (#1 forum for headphones) is that yes you can drive them without an AMP but if you want to get their full potential you need an AMP. Onboard can drive them but not well enough to get their full potential.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

I'd recommend going with the A900x then. They'll sound good with Music and are great with Games. They are incredibly tough as well. As a side option for now or in the future, you can update the earpads on the A900x with HP-A1000 earpads (make sure to type that name exactly) which are very comfy and improve the sound a bit. Not something you have to do right now, I'd just write the name down just in case you want a little more later.

nguyenantho123

Estimable
Nov 9, 2014

Where do I purchase the A900x? Amazon doesn't seem to have them.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-A900X-Closed-Back-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B006V386UG

They have it new and used on Amazon. If you can find used in good condition get that. Headphones don't really break or wear down much.

Ebay also has them for cheaper than Amazon. You can usually get them for around $130 new from ebay.

nguyenantho123

Estimable
Nov 9, 2014

What's the difference between the A700x and and the A900x? I've also been eyeing their open-back designs, such as the AD-700x, as I've never used open back before and it might be a nice addition.

The general difference is build quality. If you want better positional audio in games and have a quiet area to listen to them in, open back types are generally recommended over closed back ones

nguyenantho123

Estimable
Nov 9, 2014
The AD700x's are really appealing to me in design and how they work with games. I think I will most likely get these, but I did hear that the bass is very absent on them, but I've heard that about a lot of headphones that are audiophile grade and open back, so.

Not necessarily absent, rather not as overblown as "gaming" sets that crank the bass up and ruin the rest of the sound. The HD 518/558/598 might be better if you want a bit more in the low end. Check http://bit.ly/22l0HDf
for more info