Best low usage anti-virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlymouthJoseph

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
Hey guys,

Because my laptop decided to stop working and melt the charger port on the laptop, I'm being forced to use a REALLY old laptop of mine... I've just upgraded it from Windows Vista to Windows XP, but because this laptop is so old (2008), it is extremely slow... With it packing a 1.8GHz AMD Athlon X2 64 TK55 CPU, 2GB RAM, ATI Radeon X1200 graphics and a 80GB 5,400RPM HDD. I've download all the programs and everything, including Malware Bytes, but I need a Anti-Virus and I was wondering if you could help me find a Anti-Virus which uses as little resources as possible because I don't want it being any slower than it already is... I mean, it struggles sometimes to run YouTube at 720p and it isn't my broadband because I get 30Mb/s minimum.

Once again, what would be the best free Anti-Virus that uses little to no resources.

Joe

Solution
I recommend Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition. No settings to worry about, no "extra" features, no scheduled prompts to ask you to upgrade, no ads. Minimal footprint.

sedona

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
I recommend Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition. No settings to worry about, no "extra" features, no scheduled prompts to ask you to upgrade, no ads. Minimal footprint.

Solution

Navaneeth3247

Commendable
May 5, 2016

In my opinion, i recommend avast antivirus pro. It's the best antivirus and it uses only low ram (but its scanning speed is 20 mb per second while bitdefender allows 35mb per second). And on my pc, bitdefender was using an unusual amount of ram so i uninstalled it.

syllamo

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016
From reading the specs I have to wonder why people don't just throw Linux Mint on such machines and enjoy a new found performance without the need for an anti-virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.