Best Point-n-Shoot for under $300

bobsee88

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Seeking suggestions, amid the plethora of choices, for some of the best point-n-shoot pocket size cameras to consider that have similar DSLR characteristics : Especially looking for best low light sensitivity, best focus for available light shots without having to use flash, although need to have flash when necessary, 1080p video, stereo mic pickup, 12x-20 zoom, noise reduction to function when grain issues present, pricing less than $300.

bobsee88

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

Thanks Ken for your suggestion. I did run my requirements by B&H, and they made a couple of recommendations, but basically saying I want too much for the money. They pointed me to this unit by Sony, among others - - Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Digital Camera, which was over my limit by at least $80. But then I checked elsewhere and found it for $100 less than B&H's price. The camera does NOT have a neat 1.8 lens, which I know is especially helpful for hand-held available light shots, but other factors somewhat outweigh that consideration, if over-all performance is justifiable. So at this point, that unit was ordered and we'll see how it performs.

You're welcome. I hope the Sony works for you and just out of curiosity on what site did you find it for $100 less?

Hi Ken

The only issue I have with B&H is that on phone orders they try to upsell stuff. Stuff like "You will be disappointed if you do not include this" or "This will complete the system very well"

In spite of this, B&H is my #1 choice. Reliable and professional to deal with. The "Newegg" for camera equipment.

patrickwilson86

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013

bobsee88

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

Hi Ken and everyone who was very helpful in your suggestions to me. Thank you for that.

To coin a phrase, if I may, "my preferences that took preference" were - DSLR-type quality in a small, intelligent automatic P&S design, where the automation could be over-ridden when needed to add to any spontaneous creativity requirements. The Sony definitely met that requirement and beyond. Here, with a power-packed 18 MP camera that literally fits into my dress shirt pocket, (when needed) is outstanding. Not a good trick to try with a far larger DSLR. In the hand-held blur-free department, something brilliant is being done to create relatively blur-free hand-held shots, even at night, on the streets of Bangkok, if you will - - absolutely incredible !! And Night Market Shots in Hua Hin, Thailand, were astounding. Video works at something like 24 fps, and is astounding at 1080p with full stereo audio captures, which easily matches my larger Pro Canon unit when it is not available, due to its larger size and my choice to not always have two cameras with me.

This unit typically sells, (or sold for) well over $300, and B&H's price is now reflecting the better price I paid at Buydig for my unit. ( http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SNDSCHX20V ), which at the time was offered on sale at $279 to members.

Besides stunning everyone who saw this power-packed mini, I am more than pleased to have finally found a unit that can stand up to quality photography standards at a price point I could live with before engaging on my circuitous trip to Singapore, Bangkok, SE Thailand and Dolphin Bay Resort for a two-week business and pleasure documentation experience I will never forget.

I honestly feel it is merely a matter of time before many of the Sony features find their way into other cameras of a similar genre, but especially for those not wishing to shoulder the larger and more pro-looking cameras. I am thrilled I can get pro results without the look, in a sort of creative, clandestine manner of speaking.

Sure works well for me, as the many reviews on that camera that I read before making my decision, all tend to corroborate my findings.

Hope my comments are helpful for anyone else out there seeking similar technology for similar use.

Bob

Thanks for the feedback on the Sony. It's great to hear that it's working so well for you.