Best program for backing up blu ray movies

InsaneGenius

Estimable
May 7, 2015
Hi everyone I would like to know what is the best way for digitalising my dvd/blu ray collection for NAS dlna storage, I'm currently using dvdfab-decryption part and handbrake converting to mp4. Converting dvd 2.0/5.1 dolby digital works but my movies are being downscaled from 720x576 to 720x432 and the programs don't like to handle dts es 6.1ch only some of my movies have that encoding and for blu ray I can't even seem to get the copying to work :/ I need a program that won't downscale as I'd like to keep orginal picture for dvd and 1080 for blu ray and it needs to be able to handle dts es/ dts hd ma 5.1/7.1 and truehd/atmos 5.1/7.1
I'm using high profile with level 4 with h.264 coding and auto passthru for audio and the rest I'm letting handbrake handle.

What am I doing wrong? any help much appreciated

Handbrake does not change the resolution unless you tell it to. 720x576 is PAL DVD settings, are you using that in handbrake as the output result?

Try AnyDVD, although I don't bother much with the audio, I just copy the disk to a computer and then use handbrake to mp4 with all stock settings. Only issue I end up with at times is that with some disk speech ends up lower than the music/sound effects, need to sort that.

InsaneGenius

Estimable
May 7, 2015
When I check the properties of the file the resolution is different to the original though? I don't tell it to change I see the width is 720 but the height is blank and non-changable I have module set to 8 and anamorphic to loose and cropping automatic which is all default when I click the high profile preset.
Anydvd is good but I have to buy it to use it past the 30 days and all I used out of that was to remove encryption.

I found out how to pass through dts and HD ma o have to use mkv format because mp4 doesn't support HD audio my bad :/ and now I only have 2 devices that support mkv and not all of them which is what I actually wanted a set profile that works across all my devices with original audio kept :(

The height can depend on the movie and on the aspect ratio. Does it look off when you watch it? The actual DVD resolution what the actual movie is in when it's on the computer can very easily be different. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)

Your 720x432 resolution looks to be a 16:10 ratio (432 / 720 is .6).