best software DVD decoder

franker45

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
Can anyone tell me what the best software DVD decoder is, or would I be better of getting a Hollywood Plus card? I heard that current software decoders offer better image quality than hardware decoders. Is this true?

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
I've used PowerDVD, WinDVD, and Compaq's DVD player on my laptop. Of them all I consider PowerDVD to be the best, based on features and ease-of-use. The image quality is excellent, compares well with my 'real' DVD player anyway.

As long as your machine is powerful enough (from my experience, about 600mhz or better should do) you'll get 100% smooth playback.

FatBurger

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
PowerDVD is good, the latest version will remember where you left off in movies, too. A friend of mine resumed The Matrix a week later.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
In the subject of DVD decoders, i have a slight dilema. I recently downloaded 2 doom3 videos, one the legacy video featuring interviews of the id production staff, and another the "in game" doom3 video, the first being 80 or 90 mb, the second being 30. xp already came with a codec that could play the first one, however for the second one it said i needed a software dvd decoder, so i installed power dvd xp, a program i never thought i would use. however this didnt play the video, it didnt even recognize it as a valid file, i tried changing the extension too, i also tried paying it in quick time, and divx and they dont support it. does power dvd just suck or something? i want to watch the in-game doom 3 video!!! any suggestions?

The first LAN party I went to was at a PETA convention. They booted me when I shot a crab in HL!