Best value solution for connecting a 4K TV with an Old receiver

Dominic4114

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017
I have a 4K TV, Hisense 50H7C, and I would like to connect it with my old Sony STR-DE505 receiver. The TV has two audio outputs: Digital Optical Audio and Headphone jack (3.5mm Analog). The receiver only has RCA Audio inputs and unfortunately lacks an optical input.

Given this: 1) is it possible to simply connect the reciever by using a simple 3.5mm to RCA splitter and plugging the RCA directly into the receiver and still have decent sound quality? 2) would it make sense to spend $30-$70 on an external DAC to convert the optical output from the TV to RCA and then connect the RCA the receiver?

Also, are there any other functional differences between the resulting sound from an Optical output --> external DAC --> RCA input versus 3.5mm output --> RCA input?

Thanks

Hisense TV Ports
386022-lcdledoledtvs-hisense-43h7c-d-4.jpg

Sony Receiver Ports
1359_5_str_de505grof.jpg

Solution
I think just using the headphone jack to rca cables is the way to go. Put the money you would spend on an external dac towards an updated receiver at some point. The difference in sound quality you would get would be minimal at best. The only functional difference I can think of is that using the headphone jack will probably disconnect the tv's speakers whereas using the optical would not.

robert600

Distinguished
I think just using the headphone jack to rca cables is the way to go. Put the money you would spend on an external dac towards an updated receiver at some point. The difference in sound quality you would get would be minimal at best. The only functional difference I can think of is that using the headphone jack will probably disconnect the tv's speakers whereas using the optical would not.

Solution