akashk279

Estimable
Oct 28, 2015
Dear all,

I have recently purchased the following Asus Notebook :
https://www.asus.com/sa-en/Notebooks/N551JX/specifications/

It comes preloaded with Windows 8 which is upgradable to Windows 10.

Since the automatic OS upgrade was making me wait, I decided to do a manual upgrade using a bootable thumb drive.

I have done this process in the past but never ran into issues. This time, Win 8 did not recognize the thumb drive from the start (during boot process), so I went into BIOS and tried tinkering a few things.

Eventually, I got the system to boot using USB but it would not let me install OS on any of the Sata Drives because it was in GPT format. Unwittingly, I installed it onto the 24 GB SSD drive.

This setup is working ok, but now that I want to install the OS back onto the SATA hard drive, I am unable to do so. I have converted the disk to MBR with diskpart. Windows installer warns me something like "This computers hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disks controller is enabled in BIOS" and eventually the install fails after reboot.

I am able to use the hard disk normally inside the OS, but for some reason it does not boot.
I have enabled UEFI options in the BIOS and the hard drives are visible as UEFI ______, but they cannot boot (maybe because there is no OS on them, I cannot give them #1 priority).

I am a little technically challenged, but willing to learn. The BIOS is Aptio. I feel that tinkering around with BIOS and hard drive settings maybe able to solve my problem without giving the notebook to a service center.

I am not a fan of visiting ASS because it might be weeks before I see my notebook again. My other option maybe to upgrade the SSD to 64 GB and get windows installed on it by an unauthorized technician (who may also be able to solve this bios issue - without doing stuff that voids warranty).

If nothing works out, I will go the service center way. Thanks for reading !

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Welcome to the community, akashk279!

I'd recommend you to go to your laptop manufacturer's website and make sure you have the latest BIOS version for your model. It should be downloadable from the support/downloads tab.
Another thing you could try is resetting BIOS through the settings. Here's a link that can shed some light on that procedure: http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS

Since the laptop is still in warranty, you can still contact the manufacturer's customer support. If there's something wrong inside and all these upgrades and troubleshooting don't help, you should definitely consider RMA-ing it to get a replacement.

Hope this helps, though. Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD