ZGingerAssassin

Estimable
Jul 15, 2014
Hey all,

So I have been looking at professional video cameras and I have started to slow down around the BlackMagic URSA Mini 4K. I really like the look of this camera. It's not stupidly expensive and it seems to cover what I want. But does anyone have any experience with using this camera and using it on a Glidecam?

I was thinking of buying:
The BlackMagic URSA Mini 4k with the EFK mount
A Devin Graham Series HD Glidecam
And then using a Nikor lens (I have them around) for now until I can afford something more fancy.

The thing that is stopping me from jumping onto it and buying one is that I really would like some feedback on what this camera is like for portability and using 'out and about'. I don't want to be limited by battery life and memory space and the weight. I want a camera that I can put in a rucksack with my Glidecam and have ready to go in a few minutes and that will be more reliable than me. I spend a large amount of my recording time in the country side (I am in Kent, England) but I will also travel to the Lakedistrict and over to Dubai.

I have seen Devin Grahams youtube channel and I know I will never be like him, but how versatile he is with him camera is something I would like to have.

But if I am going down the wrong path with the URSA Mini, then I would rather be told now than find out for myself.

Thanks to all, I appreciate it greatly.

Solution
Here's a few issues:
1) The URSA comes in EF or PL mounts, you'll need to buy a nikon F to canon EF mount adapter
2) The Graham signature series glidecam has an upper weight limit of ~5kg, and the USRA is already half that limit. You might want to overspec the glidecam a bit in case you decide to add things like a monitor and additional batteries.
3) You should probably stick with EF mount, lets you have the option of stills and video using great lenses like the 85mm F1.2 II, but also an increasing selection of cine lenses. If you want to go with the anamorphic style though, there are far more PL lenses in that area.
4) Any video camera can take compelling video in the right hands. If you are not a professional or serious and dedicated...
Here's a few issues:
1) The URSA comes in EF or PL mounts, you'll need to buy a nikon F to canon EF mount adapter
2) The Graham signature series glidecam has an upper weight limit of ~5kg, and the USRA is already half that limit. You might want to overspec the glidecam a bit in case you decide to add things like a monitor and additional batteries.
3) You should probably stick with EF mount, lets you have the option of stills and video using great lenses like the 85mm F1.2 II, but also an increasing selection of cine lenses. If you want to go with the anamorphic style though, there are far more PL lenses in that area.
4) Any video camera can take compelling video in the right hands. If you are not a professional or serious and dedicated amateur, I would highly recommend starting with something a bit easier to use. You'll find the complexity of a system like this actually gets in the way of good video unless you know how to handle it.

Solution

ZGingerAssassin

Estimable
Jul 15, 2014
Thanks for the response. I have been doing the numbers and the URSA Mini is a real push with my budget. Can anyone suggest a better camera? Im not overly fussed about 4K, but I would like to be able to shoot 1080P at a high frame rate and autofocus and microphone inputs are a must. The camera will be used for glidecam 'run and gun' type stuff.

Thanks

Why not a Canon 80D or even a nikon body like the Nikon D750 or D810, though Canon has the edge in video right now (better AF)