Blizzard Banning SC2 Single-Player Cheaters Too?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Maybe instead of banning, they should reset their achievements.
They could also have an option to disable their achievements voluntarily.

x3style

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
If you use the ingame cheat codes you don't get any achievements, so its ok. But we all know the guy was a douche he wanted to cheat and get the achievements to brag to his friends or else why use a trainer i mean ingame cheats give you the same things.

The profile of singleplayer appears online for everyone to see it, your profile includes achievements from single player as well as multiplayer.

Also the EULA stipulates that you shall not use 3'rd party programs to hack the game regardless of multiplayer or singleplayer.
But if you really really feel the need to cheat get a cracked copy and cheat your ass of and keep that stuff away from your original game, i mean these things even get peoples cd-keys stolen if you get them from dodgy sources.

We all know the truth is allways in the middle. I do think the guy kinda deserved it but i also think Blizzard doesen't do enough to clarify what counts as an rule-breaker. I mean who the hellreads all those agreements and rules.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Blizzard's taken Ubisoft's much maligned system to the next level, it's not just DRM but how you play the game. It's not like linking to battle.net is even optional. We'll just slide on down this slope until battle.net tracks when you play competitor's games as well.

stormvice

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
WTF?
Diablo 2 had single player and multi player characters...It´s too hard to make individual profiles for single and multiplayer?

stormvice

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
WTF?
Diablo 2 had single player and multi player characters...It´s too hard to make individual profiles for single and multiplayer?

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
OMFG.. The great majority of people who commented have poor reading skills and are too convinced they understood correctly the idea. The problem is they are wrong. Blizzard is banning people who MODIFY their game client, not the people who use cheat codes. As some other people said, this is in direct conflict with the EULA that you accepted when you installed the game.
Blizzard is just keeping the gaming experience fun for the people who play the without using other third party programs to 'enhance' their skill.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I think this is rather silly. I somewhat frequently use trainers against Expert AIs in Company of Heroes for some fun. I think it was bad design on their side if Battle.net is such an integral part of the game.

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I think this is rather silly. I somewhat frequently use trainers against Expert AIs in Company of Heroes for some fun. I think it was bad design on their side if Battle.net is such an integral part of the game.[/citation]

I think it is a perfect design. I balanced people who prefer to make achievements with people who want to play multiplayer. Since achievements on single player are in some way something to brag about using third party programs to get those achievements makes it unfair to the people who play fair.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Cheaters have their "fix" with the cheatcodes even when they seemingly can't handle the games difficulty as it was designed.

Cheatcodes are fine as it don't give achievements, using a trainer on the other hand does allow cheating and the collection of acievements displaying "Im cool" while its not the truth - Only a front for some lame wannabe gamer.

So i think Blizzard are doing the right thing, allow the cheatcodes for the weak and work hard to stop the abuse of the achievements. I dont care much about achievements but if its there it should be genuine!

My 2 cents!

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Blizzard has cheats for single player like every RTS they have out. why do ppl find the need to use a 3rd party program to cheat when they have a first party option anyway?

G

blizzard suck monkeys ass, they take ppls money and then they stuff them up the rear.. shame on you!
And you other monkeys who think ppl dont have the right idea or who cant read, get a life and get banned then maybe u understand that spending ur money on something to be wasted cause some company says u cant cheat crap i cheated all my life at games i suck at playing so i cheat.
And just because of that im bad right, maybe i dotn spend my life infront of a pc to game but to work, and when i game i want it all and i want to have fun, so sue me, fools!

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Proxy711[/nom]Blizzard has cheats for single player like every RTS they have out. why do ppl find the need to use a 3rd party program to cheat when they have a first party option anyway?[/citation]

Because using a 3rd party tool they still get achievements to boast about to their friends.

Ban away, Blizzard! It's exactly the right thing to do, but stop giving out 14 day bans for it. PERMABAN for it.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]bogstench[/nom]blizzard suck monkeys ass, they take ppls money and then they stuff them up the rear.. shame on you!And you other monkeys who think ppl dont have the right idea or who cant read, get a life and get banned then maybe u understand that spending ur money on something to be wasted cause some company says u cant cheat crap i cheated all my life at games i suck at playing so i cheat.And just because of that im bad right, maybe i dotn spend my life infront of a pc to game but to work, and when i game i want it all and i want to have fun, so sue me, fools![/citation]

Your tears are salty and taste like FAIL.

[citation][nom]figgus[/nom]Your tears are salty and taste like FAIL.[/citation]And your comment makes you any better?
---

My take on this situation? Blizzard is overreacting a bit. Yes, they are using a 3rd program trainer which is against their eula, however, what game in the past has not had some sort of program like this? Some people like to play with such cheats on (when the provided cheats arent enough) in single player mode for fun. This doesnt have to imply that you suck at a game - you could just be facing extreme odds and need the extra help. (ie 1v7cpu)

Bnet should be entirely optional. While we are at it, it shouldnt be tied to your cd-key & install. This is why the original SC was the epic hit that it was and why SC2 is receiving so much criticism lately. I bought the first disk, i refuse to buy the other two or any blizzard product until they learn this.

G

Strike one, Blizzard teams up with Activision. Strike two, Blizzard forces you to be online and connected to their servers to enjoy the game. Strike three, Blizzard bans SC2 players for enjoying the game they bought when it doesn't affect anyone else.

Oh-well, i didn't like SC2, and WoW is dead to me. Diablo 3, i can live without it. I'm done with Blizzard.

bunnyblaster

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
I do not like where this going. I recall modifying the rules.ini file in Red Alert and really enjoying it back in the day to make a game interesting.

This was one of the reasons why the community was so against Blizzard putting on mandatory battle.net even in single player. An online achievement means nothing to me except for multiplayer. I would like the option of modifying the game.

This is in essence banning all attempts at making a mod of Starcraft. Which means that I lost interest in purchasing the game. Stick the hacked version that allows you to play offline.

Sp0cK

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]So THAT is why I pirated SC2...[/citation]

No, you pirated the game because you can't afford to buy it... AKA Thief.

Status
Not open for further replies.