Blu-ray for Xbox 360? No No NO!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

neon neophyte

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
The war for HD media standard isn't over yet I don't think. Although Sony clearly holds 1st place, and theres no competition. That doesn't mean Microsoft is going to reinforce Sonys dominance in the market. Something better might come along and knock Sony on its butt. Who knows.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
We have a long-standing high definition strategy that runs across gaming and premium content, and it’s a strategy that continues to pay off for us.

In other words Microsoft wants to gouge their customers for as much as they can get, eh? Kinda sucks for the customer, but I guess this is what happens when you see your profits plummet.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I think Microsoft is making the right decision here. What would be the point of developing an external blu-ray drive when it would be the same thing and probably the same price as a standalone blu-ray player...

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
As far as the blue-ray is concerned i really hope Microsoft does not include it in anything to do with the 360 as they have stated no reason for it. But since there is no sign that one will ever be released im just going to buy a PS3 after all thats what the PS3 is good for, movies.

skalagon

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
Too bad... I think they should make a new xbox 360 with blu integrated in it and some other new features and it could fill the gap between the current 360 and whatever new console microsoft release. Afterall those xbox's people bought straight away when they come out are going to wear out and break at some stage, if they haven't already, and they'll have to replace them with something. Call it the 360 Ultra or some shite.

Micropat

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
It dosen't surprise me that MS don't seem to have plans to introduce Blu-Ray into the 360 (for the time being at least). Blu-ray drives are much more expensive than dvd drives. One major selling point 360 has over PS3 is price. Why would MS want to erode that?

mursh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
I think they will use something like HVD discs (Holographic Versatile Disc) for the next console they make in like 2014. DVD wont really start to be completely obsolete for at least 3 or 4 more years. HVD can hold between 500gb to a few terabytes and will be much better than blue ray if the format takes off.

I don't think the xbox 360 will ever have blue ray because that format is owned by Sony and they would have to pay Sony for every drive they sold. This is just bad business, if it can be avoided they will. Also just like with the HD DVD player, it was only for movies. Microsoft said that games would never be on another format because it would force people to upgrade just to play the new games.

G

1080p...i dont many xbox owners have ISP connections that will allow them to enjoy their movies at that format. That kind of bandwith usage is something ISP compaines will try to prevent. Having something like a blu-ray player would be better, given that it will always be there unlike your internet connection. Also you wont have to worry about going over your caps. I am sure deep inside Microsoft is dreaming having Blu-Ray on their consoles but if they did that they would look bad infront of $ony and probalby have to pay some kind of licene fee always. Doubt M$ would do that though. Well i guess it all depends on what kind of ISP is providing you.

rdawise

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I can understand this move by MS.

[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]I think Microsoft is making the right decision here. What would be the point of developing an external blu-ray drive when it would be the same thing and probably the same price as a standalone blu-ray player...[/citation]

Doomtomb hit it on the head. With the price of blu-ray falling, it would be cheaper to go out and buy a blu-ray player then get one MS would produce. Why would MS put time, effort, and most important money behind that? Bad business.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]conca$tbob[/nom]1080p...i dont many xbox owners have ISP connections that will allow them to enjoy their movies at that format. That kind of bandwith usage is something ISP compaines will try to prevent. [/citation]

i doubt many xbox users have Comcast or TWC

rquick

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Still plenty of people buyin and usin the 360. I don't think any of them care what you think is old news. Maybe you think the PS3 is better. Maybe you're right. No one cares. There aren't enough games for the PS3 and Blue-ray is a bust.

Why does the 360 need Blue-ray anyway?? BR is what is old news. MS has better ideas.

rcmaniac25

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]I think Microsoft is making the right decision here. What would be the point of developing an external blu-ray drive when it would be the same thing and probably the same price as a standalone blu-ray player...[/citation]
So true, at the same time if they released a Blu-Ray Xbox 360 then some dev might get the grand idea to release a game on Blu-Ray. That leaves all those with a DVD Xbox without any chance to play the game unless they buy a new system or Microsoft gives them a free upgrade, both of which are highly unlikely. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the same reason why they made their HD-DVD player Movie Only.

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
Depending on the forecast longevity of the XBOX 360 as a current generation game platform, a built in Blu-ray solution in an elite edition model might make some sense. Less or even none at all if the next generation XBOX is already in the works. For that though, it'd be a basically essential component of the mix. Current PC games are running in the range of 12 GB or more per game installed on the hard drive, and that upward trend shows no signs of stopping. DVD is fine for now, but for the future, it's gotta be Blu-ray.

Just makes perfect sense.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation] It's quite possible that an internal drive
will be integrated into the next console release expected next year[/citation]
No, thats rediculouse. There are a million reasons against this idea and only one reason for it. The reason for it is to let people watch Blue Ray movies. But why bother paying Sony royalties and charging customers the extra cost of a Blue Ray player when only a small percentage of people would actually take advantage of it? Note that I don't even mention the possibility of XBOX 360 games on blue ray discs. If you don't understand why Microsoft shouldn't allow Blue Ray games on the 360, then you don't really understand the nature of a console. It would break the unified compatibility of the console.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
MS understands that bluray is short term and that digital distribution (despite everyone's hangup about tangible products) is the future. BluRay might not even last until the next generation consoles come out.

MS is already about to launch a digital distribution system on the 360.

There are other technical hangups with BluRay that makes it not worth it now. For once, the read speed of the disc is too slow or the player is too expensive. You'd basically have to install the games if they started using BluRay (much like the PS3).

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Digital downloads are fine for rentals.

But for those who want extras, better quality of picture (Think a Download is as sharp as a the less compressed video on a 50GB disc?), subtitles, languages, deleted scenes, that DON'T come with DD... well, BluRay is it.

Also... you're paying about the same for a DD as a blue ray disc. $15~20 is typical for a movie. And then its DRMed to your hardware. Want to take it with you on the road and watch at Auntie B's place... sorry, gotta take your 360 with you!
And many 360s still only have 20GB drives. Even with a 60GB drive, how many MOVIES can YOU HOLD?

Lets see... lets say a 1080 2hr movie eats 15GB of space. And with the OS and game content, lets say 15GB is not Usable.

That's means you can hold this many 1080 movies on your Xbox:
20GB = 1 movie
60GB = 3 movies
120GB= 7 movies!

At least with a PS3, the owner can buy a $100 500GB HD and stick it in themselves.

So... the 360 is a replacement for Blu-Ray?!
THAT IS FUNNY! For little kids, yeah maybe. For grown ups with HD-TVs no.

I have hundreds of DVDs. Even those would fill up a 360.
A typical DVD movie may need 4GB of space.

Xbox 60GB drive = 11 movies.... still not close.

MS and Xbox fanboys (I do not own ANY console, yet) are kidding themselves if they think DD will replace BluRay anytime soon. OnDemand / rentals are fine. They make lots of $$$ on the rentals.

bk420

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
get on with it micro$oft. This dang company needs to get over it's cry baby tatics. HDD SUCKED and was nothing special. Blu-Ray is the king and will be for the next 10 years.

The XBOX needs Blu-ray but it'll probably come in an external form. Netflix streaming is not even close to Blu-ray quality. I don't netflix will ever be able to stream 25GB in 2 hours with out some massive bandwidth infrastructure.

Also the next generation of Blu-ray is going to have upto 100GB capacity. Trying streaming that quality of video over the internet. It's just not going to happen no matter what they claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.