Blu ray - min specs - laptop

Surfdude82

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016
Hi everyone,

I've been looking for the minimum specs to play Blu ray qualitty movies on a laptop. Could you guys help me out?

Do you think this laptop can play smoothly blu ray quality movies?
Acer Swift 3 wit with i3-7100U, 4GB ram, 256 GB SSD en intel HD Graphics 620?
Or it's better an Acer Spin 5 with i3-6006u, 8 GB ram, 256 GB SSD en Inet HD Graphics 520 ? (extra ram, inferior processor)

Which is the most important component for playing Blu Ray? The processor, ram memory of the graphics card?

Many thanks in advance!

Johan

Solution
I presume you are going to play movies that have been downloaded or streamed? Only as this lappy has no bluray drive built in.
But i see no reason why even the first one on your list wouldn't play bluray quality movies!
Plenty of good spec for that.

Enjoy!
K.
I presume you are going to play movies that have been downloaded or streamed? Only as this lappy has no bluray drive built in.
But i see no reason why even the first one on your list wouldn't play bluray quality movies!
Plenty of good spec for that.

Enjoy!
K.

Solution

Surfdude82

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016

Indead downloaded or streamed.
Thx for your answer Kenton82

No problem! Obviously streaming quality videos depends mostly on your internet connection speed. If downloading, you will be surprised at how well even a very low spec'd machine will play these!

Good luck, and i hope all works well for you!
Regards,
K.

robert600

Distinguished

Thinking of downloaded files ... mmm ... depends on the codec the encoder used ... there is no way the 6006u would be able to handle HEVC files (X265) ... the 7100u might just manage it. I agree that either would be fine for X264 encodes.

At the moment, most encodes are X264 but X265 is gaining popularity and i think it's safe to say it will be taking over in the future (the same video quality is half the file size - but a better processor is required to be decoded).

TRENDING THREADS