Blu-ray Playback and burning

templetonpeck

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Hi,

I just recently (read yesterday) got myself a Blu-ray writer.

I now need something good to write Blu-ray discs, as well as watch them. I just want something that does those two basic things and does them well.

The drive itself came with a Blu-ray suite version 7 from Cyberlink, however it's some of the most awful software I've ever used.

It includes:

PowerStarter 7.0_BD
Power2Go 6.1
PowerDVD 9.0
PowerDirector 7.0.

I get spammed to death with ads to update my version (I've gotten most disabled now), it wouldn't let me select which components to install, it added 7 entries to my startup for useless reasons (including a duplicate), it won't let me adjust the aspect ratio for display on my TV properly and it has annoying links to update and register everywhere.

The burning software isn't bad and works fine, but I can't seem to get the player to work right and I get the feeling it's disabled some of the aspect ratio features on me until I update to yet another version (so it can then spam me to get another version in 4-5 months no doubt).

Any suggestions for some better software? I'm open to both freeware and commercial solutions. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit.

templetonpeck

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
From my experience, I'm never touching another Cyberlink product again, so that's out of the question for me.

I don't intend to give them any money to get another version when the one I have should already work just fine without hassle.

templetonpeck

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I was thinking about giving that a try, the only issue being is it doesn't burn Blu-Ray discs, as far as I can see.

It would be preferable to have an all-in-one solution because grabbing individual components could get overly expensive.